Another Electric Bill Increase ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my gas bill today, and it went up over 21%! I don't think that brutal little cold snap back about Christmas could account for all of that! Should get my electric bill within the next few days.
I work for the gas company. We took a massive hit when we had those temps. Many of our older pipelines broke which caused mass outages for our customers. Not only did that cost us money to fix, no one was using gas while the repairs were being done so we were losing money there. I don’t like the cost going up either. But I do have some insight ( at least for gas) as to why it does. We are in the process of replacing all our old infrastructure. The company is trying to increase its customer base and also to expand its infrastructure. That costs alot of money.

Another thing that most people aren’t aware of when it comes to ONG. Onegas Inc. is the parent company of Oklahoma Natural Gas. Besides ONG, Onegas owns Kansas Gas Service and Texas Gas Service. We have over 2 million customers across the three states. It isn’t just Oklahoma that affects the prices. So try and keep that in mind. Hopefully in the near future we can have our aging lines replaced with poly and that will allow us to avoid any issues with extreme cold. There can still be outages, but more than likely it will not be because of extreme cold.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most people don't understand what gross profit is. Gross Profit = Revenue less Cost of Goods Sold

Gross profit excludes the cost of capital to build and pay for the infrastructure.

Net income is the actual net profit when all costs are included, things like taxes, interest, amortization.

Gross profit may be increasing but due to increases in other costs, net income has been unstable and OGE lost money in 2020.
exactly. Thank you for wording it better than I

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what i would like to know???? did the extra cost involve paying fines for over production of carbon or purchase of carbon credits because of the over consumption over and above the estimated?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work for the gas company. We took a massive hit when we had those temps. Many of our older pipelines broke which caused mass outages for our customers. Not only did that cost us money to fix, no one was using gas while the repairs were being done so we were losing money there. I don’t like the cost going up either. But I do have some insight ( at least for gas) as to why it does. We are in the process of replacing all our old infrastructure. The company is trying to increase its customer base and also to expand its infrastructure. That costs alot of money.

Another thing that most people aren’t aware of when it comes to ONG. Onegas Inc. is the parent company of Oklahoma Natural Gas. Besides ONG, Onegas owns Kansas Gas Service and Texas Gas Service. We have over 2 million customers across the three states. It isn’t just Oklahoma that affects the prices. So try and keep that in mind. Hopefully in the near future we can have our aging lines replaced with poly and that will allow us to avoid any issues with extreme cold. There can still be outages, but more than likely it will not be because of extreme cold.

Point taken. But, I'm on average pay and have been for many, many years. I don't see any way imaginable that they could justify a 21+% increase in one month!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Point taken. But, I'm on average pay and have been for many, many years. I don't see any way imaginable that they could justify a 21+% increase in one month!
The infrastructure should be a daily overtaking and not waiting until the 11th hour to replace or repair-and certainly not something to be done in a month or even a year. It's kind of like ignoring your car engine until there is damage due to a lack of oil and then putting oil in thinking, "that will do the trick." Then there are huge expenses.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of condemning a house for lack of electricity but they can for no water thats a health department law or rule but also knows a city can have some weird laws depending on where you live.
A few years ago when they were mandating that everyone get a new 'Smart Meter' installed whether they wanted one or not, a couple of homeowners around the OKC area ran the risk of getting their houses condemned if they didn't comply. IIRC some homeowners even got a lawyer to help them against OG&E. I looked but couldn't find the news article about it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
also part of the increase was according to one corporation commissioner was the way the bond or loan was structured added a bunch of extra unnecessary cost. i think that is the place a citizen should look first. and not so much at the extra fuel needed? i still would like to know if any fines or carbon credits were involved???

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The infrastructure should be a daily overtaking and not waiting until the 11th hour to replace or repair-and certainly not something to be done in a month or even a year. It's kind of like ignoring your car engine until there is damage due to a lack of oil and then putting oil in thinking, "that will do the trick." Then there are huge expenses.

Thank you. It is, quite frankly, a load of **** that any utility ignore regular maintenance/upgrades and then cry foul when everything falls apart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom