Good 1911 Gunsmiths in or Near OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But does he get the GMT stamp of approval?

In the OKC area, go to the good Dr Barry Greyson - OlYeller's good, but when it comes to 1911s, I've got some serious respect for the Doc.

Yes, Mike Bay did a helluva sight cut for me on two guns and I've seen some guns he built. He's VERY good with mill and he's a very good pistolsmith from my observations.

When I started into the custom full house 1911 route Barry answered all my questions to no end, probably to his dismay. :D but he's a walking 1911 encyclopedia and he educates me on regular basis.

Olyeller, what can you say about him that hasn't been said? The guy was once nice enough to deliver a gun to my G/F in Norman. Not saying he's got the time for that now but I've always respected his work ethic and he's a helluva lot nicer than I would be to some "customers." "God" knows I've bothered him with a few questions on various platforms aswell.

To be honest, we are blessed in OK, because outside of AZ, Mich, and Ark the 1911 pistolsmiths are few and far between.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Doc,

Since you're on here, I've got some details I'd like to get done on my Dan Wesson PM-9 competition gun. They are:

Weld up the lock channel on an Ed Brown mag catch (I prefer the checkered EB catch to the DW cast & serrated catch, but they cut the lock channel too deep and the EB traps the mag on the off side when you depress it as a result).

Serrate the back of the slide at 40 LPI.

Flatten and recess the slide stop pin.

I'd also like to have a custom weld up and reprofile of the SS slide stop lever to improve my slide lock reloads on the clock.

The biggest issue I have on getting the work done is turnaround time. I'm going into the heavy part of the season and can't have it sitting in a safe for weeks on end. A week or two at the most is where I'm at. Thoughts? :)

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG...
On the mag catch...take a small 3/32nd rod and cut .020-.030" off and place it in the bottom of the mag catch hole for enough reduction in travel to prevent the over travel on your mag catch which is interfering with your mags...might save you purchasing a new part :)/
Is your pistol SS, if not you will have to refinish the slide after the serrations. As for the slide stop lock I am not visualizing where you want it welded up? Do you want it thicker so it protrudes further out from the frame for your thumb? Shortening it is no problem and the recessing it I can have Mike do it on his mill.
The turn around time is relatively quick..a few days to a week.
Call me on my cell if you have any other questions ...#(405) 826-7979.
Barry:)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GTG...
On the mag catch...take a small 3/32nd rod and cut .020-.030" off and place it in the bottom of the mag catch hole for enough reduction in travel to prevent the over travel on your mag catch which is interfering with your mags...might save you purchasing a new part :)/
Is your pistol SS, if not you will have to refinish the slide after the serrations. As for the slide stop lock I am not visualizing where you want it welded up? Do you want it thicker so it protrudes further out from the frame for your thumb? Shortening it is no problem and the recessing it I can have Mike do it on his mill.
The turn around time is relatively quick..a few days to a week.
Call me on my cell if you have any other questions ...#(405) 826-7979.
Barry:)

See, that’s why I don’t work on other people’s guns! I got the EB catch in and it was trapping the mags just like the stock part was. So I re-profiled the inside curve just as I had on the stock part. That didn’t cure the problem and only then did I compare the two parts and realize that they’d cut the slot too deep in the EB part, allowing the mag catch to be pressed in further than the stock catch. I’d have never thought to limit the mag catch lock travel by dropping some stock material in the channel under the catch lock. Duh, work smarter, not harder! LOL

As for the slide stop, I don’t need it lengthened, shortened or extended further out from the gun. I’m looking to have the shelf itself re-profiled in a way I’ve yet to see on any aftermarket stops. The factory part looks like this (this is the gun, so yes, it’s all SS):

[Broken External Image]

What I’m looking for would be the exact opposite of this Harrison Design slide stop:

i1192.photobucket.com_albums_aa323_JustJohnIII_MLH_20Commander_P1016871_zps508ec212.jpg

What I’m looking for is to have the downward curve on the lever at the rear, rather than the front, then serrated like the factory unit. Is this doable?

you can drill and pin the channel too; not gonna hurt good steel at all.

Barry, I will forever be your Igor.

LOL, Mikey, you’ve always been my go-to guy, but you’ve gotten so popular on the 3-Gun circuit! Actually, I’ll be getting with you on a 3-gun shotty, but that will be later in the year. I’ve always been a fan of Doc’s work and feel like I should have some in my safe! If it turns out both of you lay hands on this DW, well that really isn’t going to hurt my feelings! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom