How do you feel about stores that don't take cash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but it does irk me when businesses don not take cards.

Or the darn stores that won't let you charge for a soda or wanna add a percentage back to the price! I have walked out of a few convenience stores when they did not want to take a card for a diet cake. There was a gun store in OKC that always wanted a phone number from me so I always gave them Tall Paul insurance phone number!!!! Ya'll remember that one 524-1541!!

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a small business owner, could not fathom not taking cash... Merchant fee's on credit card processing don't sound like a lot at first, but that 2-3% really does add up. Not to mention all of the creative things you can do with cash transactions.

In short, terribad idea.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or the darn stores that won't let you charge for a soda or wanna add a percentage back to the price! I have walked out of a few convenience stores when they did not want to take a card for a diet cake. There was a gun store in OKC that always wanted a phone number from me so I always gave them Tall Paul insurance phone number!!!! Ya'll remember that one 524-1541!!

It's kind of crappy on your part to try to pay for a "diet cake" with a credit card. The CC companies charge merchants 2.5%-4% with a minimum transaction charge. As far as teh upcharge, would you feel better if a store offered a discount to cash customers?

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cash is our legal tender, its almost unpatriotic to not accept it. I would definitely look down on a store not accepting cash, whether or not I was paying with it.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious as to your thought process here as well, not trying to poo-poo on you. I feel like, as a small business owner, that you should be sure to take everyone's money you can. Check's are a bad idea I think.

I'm more surprised that companies don't charge the 2-4% credit charge to the consumer.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Payment stipulations in general make me drive to a another competitor (not accepting checks is ok), I prefer not to be bothered with the payment method games.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my check card almost exclusively. The only purchases I make with cash are $1 beers at Remington Park and Bricktown Ballpark and gun and ammo purchases.

So, if you're selling groceries, gasoline, etc, I have no problem with you not accepting cash. If you're selling beer, guns, or ammo, then I'd have to take my business elsewhere, except for online purchases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom