Hummingbird 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Watch close. There will be a male guarding the feeder, perhaps 2 or 3 males. It/they will allow the females to feed, but attack another male.

At least, that's the way it is around my feeder.
Oh yeah. Male guarded for about an hour. He chased off everything except his supposed younguns. Had a female guard for a bit and let her youguns visit.
The young males have striations of color on their necks. Can still catch a glimpse of pink or orange on them. We have an outlying feeder that a young male has taken over. He isn’t stupid, took the easy fortress by not even fighting for it. It’s his now.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There’s no way I could video all of this. We have 3 and 4 birds whipping by our heads at a time. Pretty cool stuff.
We had some of that going on as well. The video doesn’t do it justice either. We have 4 feeders that are separated a good distance.

I got a couple pineapple shaped feeders on clearance from TSC.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have 3 feeders for hummingbirds that attach to windows. This year we have more than we ever have had. Some days I have to refill the feeders twice a day.

After watching the hummers feeding this morning I got curious about what size a brain hummingbirds have.

Reading on line, I discovered their brains are the size of a grain of rice, but make up 4.2 percent of their body weight. Human brains only about 2 percent.

I find them to be amazing creatures with amazing natural talents.

Maybe we humans would be better of if we had bird brains! :)

Below is a link with interesting facts about hummingbirds.

https://www.adirondackcouncil.org/p...irds--and-other-interesting-tidbits-1101.html

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20220821_165831.jpg

Today

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The cool down has moved some birds out. Only saw a few yesterday. Put fresh food in the feeders to attract some travelers as they head south.

Latest posts

Top Bottom