I need a scanner...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone recommend a good cheap one with decent reception. I'd like to be able to do dual zones... so, one set of channels when I'm at home, another set when I'm at work.

It's odd, I remember paying like $100 for a used 2-way radio back when I was in EMS, but the scanners I'm looking at on Amazon all seem to start at $80 and go up to like $300 or some crap. Aren't there halfway decent little battery-powered handhelds with an AC adapter for the $50-60 range? I'll pay $100 if I have to,, but would rather not.

It's funny, our department head at work has a major boner about the scanner... he doesn't just want it off when he is there, he has actually taken it away, and people are afraid now, like they're gonna be turned in to the principal. Screw that... I like to hear it, I want to know what's going on out in the community, and it's a safety issue for me and others. So eff 'em, I'm buyin' my own and I'll just keep it with me and use it when I'm working. Guarantee ain't nobody takin' my personal property and hiding it away. :madbox:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know what you'd be able to pick up anymore. Both of my scanners are useless for anything except weather alerts. All the departments in the area have gone to encrypted, dual trunking digital super secret squirrel systems.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this wont help you any but i have 2 uniden scanners 1 at home and another in my truck and i have no trouble picking up all kinds of call but what i like about them is i can program up to 20 channels and that is all it will scan when i set it to private.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bearcat 350a you can have for $0. It needs antenna and wall wart. Only thing I can remember about it is it will loose memory if you unplug it, but it worked last time I used it. Hell, I'll even mail it to you for free, can't beat that with a stick!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bearcat 350a you can have for $0. It needs antenna and wall wart. Only thing I can remember about it is it will loose memory if you unplug it, but it worked last time I used it. Hell, I'll even mail it to you for free, can't beat that with a stick!

I appreciate that, but it's something I'll have to unplug and carry with me, so it needs to be portable. Thanks, though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a Uniden portable. Used to keep it running during storm season to listen to the spotters in the county. We could get info from them about 5 minuets before the TV stations would report it.

The local LEO use their cell phones. Rare to see one driving down the road without one stuck in their ear. The only thing we hear from them is their portable units if they are out and in foot pursuit or something.

It was so dead, that we finally put it in the drawer, and it hasn't been out in a couple of years.
Its one of the high end units, does all the trunking, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom