I need a scanner...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone recommend a good cheap one with decent reception. I'd like to be able to do dual zones... so, one set of channels when I'm at home, another set when I'm at work.

It's odd, I remember paying like $100 for a used 2-way radio back when I was in EMS, but the scanners I'm looking at on Amazon all seem to start at $80 and go up to like $300 or some crap. Aren't there halfway decent little battery-powered handhelds with an AC adapter for the $50-60 range? I'll pay $100 if I have to,, but would rather not.

It's funny, our department head at work has a major boner about the scanner... he doesn't just want it off when he is there, he has actually taken it away, and people are afraid now, like they're gonna be turned in to the principal. Screw that... I like to hear it, I want to know what's going on out in the community, and it's a safety issue for me and others. So eff 'em, I'm buyin' my own and I'll just keep it with me and use it when I'm working. Guarantee ain't nobody takin' my personal property and hiding it away. :madbox:

What are the agencies of interest in these two zones? What's the level of criticality that you hear everything while at work?

Based on my memory of where you work in BVIL, even hearing local agencies inside the ER is likely to be spotty for a portable. Reasons: your local agencies are all on VHF-Hi which does not penetrate buildings well to start with, add in the usual conditions inside hospitals of metal studs/lath/X-ray shielding and signal strength just disappears so your scanner goes silent.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not in Bville, I'm in Ponca. And I understand your concerns. However, we get reception now with a simple desktop scanner with a small 8" antenna. I'm thinking a handheld would be at least somewhat comparable. I had ambulances show up tonight with no warning because the radios weren't working or their cells phones or whatever. It's useful to be able to hear what's going on in the outside world...

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not in Bville, I'm in Ponca. And I understand your concerns. However, we get reception now with a simple desktop scanner with a small 8" antenna. I'm thinking a handheld would be at least somewhat comparable. I had ambulances show up tonight with no warning because the radios weren't working or their cells phones or whatever. It's useful to be able to hear what's going on in the outside world...

Sorry about getting the location wrong - I used to make ambulance runs into that ER from Fairfax back in the 70s. We didn't even have a HEAR radio back then, the PD was supposed to call you when we got into town.

Back to the topic, I'd say you ought to get with Dennis to see about borrowing his (portable = handheld??) out of the desk drawer as an experiment on in-building coverage. Handheld antennas are notoriously poor but there are some improved after-market solutions. Also, per his post above, if they aren't transmitting then you'll still be in the dark. IIRC, the PCFD has the ambulance service there and most FDs are better about maintaining contact with their units on the air. Your $100 max budget should still be do-able as all you need is a very basic scanner, one that should be available used. I've linked one below that is a little more capable than you need and $10 over budget but would do the job for you. The second link (e-bay) is better on price and doesn't have features you don't need.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=7222&cat=3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uniden-BC75...063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afe968187

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to get all the local police,fire,emt and stormchasers etc on my BearCat race scanner now i dont get diddly. I could even pick up neighbors cordless telephones.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WP_20150708_002.jpg

Works perfectly

$50.00

Latest posts

Top Bottom