Does It Come On All Of A Sudden? Arthritis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This:
download (50).jpeg

Works pretty good to go along with the pony paste and mane and tail shampoo!
:laughup::laughup::laughup:
Absorbine Jr on steroids...
Wife swears by the Voltaren gel, but that shiznit is expensive!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 72, I love to hike on our travels, and like to cook. Both of which require standing for long periods of time. Started getting pain in the hips that would radiate up into the back. Thought it was muscle but after a battery of tests at the VA, it was determined to be arthritis in the hips.
When it gets to hurting, it just takes a minute of sitting down to make it go away and good for another hour or two.
I didn't think it was anything big deal, just getting older, but the VA scheduled MRI's, and now visits to pain management and physical therapy that can be done at home that I did Tuesday.
The physical therapy guy really knew what he was doing. PHD in the field, but right at the beginning of the interview, he had on a mask. The only person in the VA hospital to have one on that I saw.
He fumbled around in his desk and said before we get started, I needed a mask for his protection and mine.
My response was that a mask puts me in a panic attack, and I start hurting those around me. (not really) Ended that discussion and we went on with the session.
There he is with a full beard, mask on top of the beard that cannot be sealed questioning me about his safety and mine. Fawking control idiot liberal POS.
His suggestion of therapy was solid though. Could actually feel the difference after the finish of the session.
Pain management next Monday at the VA. Why, I don't know as it doesn't hurt that bad and is manageable by me, and don't take anything for it, but they wanted to schedule it. Great reason to visit some gun shops and Cabella's to look for a holster for the new FN-502.
The advice above about Naproxen is solid. That stuff will mess up your gut health.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 72, I love to hike on our travels, and like to cook. Both of which require standing for long periods of time. Started getting pain in the hips that would radiate up into the back. Thought it was muscle but after a battery of tests at the VA, it was determined to be arthritis in the hips.
When it gets to hurting, it just takes a minute of sitting down to make it go away and good for another hour or two.
I didn't think it was anything big deal, just getting older, but the VA scheduled MRI's, and now visits to pain management and physical therapy that can be done at home that I did Tuesday.
The physical therapy guy really knew what he was doing. PHD in the field, but right at the beginning of the interview, he had on a mask. The only person in the VA hospital to have one on that I saw.
He fumbled around in his desk and said before we get started, I needed a mask for his protection and mine.
My response was that a mask puts me in a panic attack, and I start hurting those around me. (not really) Ended that discussion and we went on with the session.
There he is with a full beard, mask on top of the beard that cannot be sealed questioning me about his safety and mine. Fawking control idiot liberal POS.
His suggestion of therapy was solid though. Could actually feel the difference after the finish of the session.
Pain management next Monday at the VA. Why, I don't know as it doesn't hurt that bad and is manageable by me, and don't take anything for it, but they wanted to schedule it. Great reason to visit some gun shops and Cabella's to look for a holster for the new FN-502.
The advice above about Naproxen is solid. That stuff will mess up your gut health.

Go to pain management. Take what they give you. Note: I'm NOT saying take what they give you as in put it in your mouth and swallow. I'm saying fill the prescription and put it in a dark, cool place and only take it when you need it. Rinse, repeat.

There WILL come a time you will need said medications and for some odd reason the more you actually need them the less doctors are willing to provide them. It is absolutely insane.

When that tree branch fell on me the doctors went from using fentanyl to treat my pain to telling me Ibuprofen was sufficient. Literally 48 hours -- TWO days -- after my accident I didn't need anything to manage my pain. And I looked like I had been beat with a stick. The stares I got leaving the hospital told me all I needed to know -- NOBODY who worked on my discharge or saw me leaving believed I ought to be going home then. I guarantee you the damned pissy-ass security guard thought that Grumpy had beat me. 🙄🙄

I tell you all this to say that if I hadn't had a bottle of pills that had been leftovers from month-to-month from me already being in a pain management program I would have REALLY been screwed. Because it took me a full 2 weeks to get a prescription filled. I was within 72 hours of actually being out of ANY pain medication and it took me nearly 2 months before I was even minimally functional again (and not spending ALL my time watching the clock so I could take another dose of meds). It was, quite literally, a scary time in my life -- and I don't spook all that quick. Not in my DNA.

BUT ... I had absolutely no idea when (or if) my pain levels were gonna diminish (docs didn't know either) and when you can't even breathe in your sleep without the pain waking you up it's a pretty miserable way to be.

Get the prescription(s) and put them away. You aren't getting any younger and one of these days you're gonna hurt in such a way as it's REALLY gonna make you take stock of just how lucky you've been not to hurt like that up to this point.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you take nsaids every once in a while and they don't seem very effective, there's a reason. Google "wind-up" and "pain". That said I have a dodgy shoulder and I avoid nsaids if at all possible.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to pain management. Take what they give you. Note: I'm NOT saying take what they give you as in put it in your mouth and swallow. I'm saying fill the prescription and put it in a dark, cool place and only take it when you need it. Rinse, repeat.

There WILL come a time you will need said medications and for some odd reason the more you actually need them the less doctors are willing to provide them. It is absolutely insane.

When that tree branch fell on me the doctors went from using fentanyl to treat my pain to telling me Ibuprofen was sufficient. Literally 48 hours -- TWO days -- after my accident I didn't need anything to manage my pain. And I looked like I had been beat with a stick. The stares I got leaving the hospital told me all I needed to know -- NOBODY who worked on my discharge or saw me leaving believed I ought to be going home then. I guarantee you the damned pissy-ass security guard thought that Grumpy had beat me. 🙄🙄

I tell you all this to say that if I hadn't had a bottle of pills that had been leftovers from month-to-month from me already being in a pain management program I would have REALLY been screwed. Because it took me a full 2 weeks to get a prescription filled. I was within 72 hours of actually being out of ANY pain medication and it took me nearly 2 months before I was even minimally functional again (and not spending ALL my time watching the clock so I could take another dose of meds). It was, quite literally, a scary time in my life -- and I don't spook all that quick. Not in my DNA.

BUT ... I had absolutely no idea when (or if) my pain levels were gonna diminish (docs didn't know either) and when you can't even breathe in your sleep without the pain waking you up it's a pretty miserable way to be.

Get the prescription(s) and put them away. You aren't getting any younger and one of these days you're gonna hurt in such a way as it's REALLY gonna make you take stock of just how lucky you've been not to hurt like that up to this point.
I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty much a person that refuses to take pain meds for the most part. Pain tells the body where you're hurting, and I want to know how to fight it and when it goes away by natural means if possible. I know that won't be possible forever, but I'm going to fight it as long as I can.
The VA hands out meds when needed if one can justify they are needed. I'm not concerned about getting any when the time comes.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty much a person that refuses to take pain meds for the most part. Pain tells the body where you're hurting, and I want to know how to fight it and when it goes away by natural means if possible. I know that won't be possible forever, but I'm going to fight it as long as I can.
The VA hands out meds when needed if one can justify they are needed. I'm not concerned about getting any when the time comes.

I used to be that person, too. All I'm saying is don't let yourself get caught with your pants down. I am not exaggerating one bit when I say there are levels of pain that, when endured over a period of time, will cause you to willingly eat a bullet no matter how tough you think you are right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom