I think someone shot my dog.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope it makes a full recovery. We had someone shoot 1 of our dogs with a pellet gun and didn't realize it until it was too late he died of lead poisoning.

Yep, neighborhood kid shot my dog in the hip when we lived in the city. By the time we discovered it, the wound became infected, and we had to put her down.

Call the Police, and get the dog to a vet.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks, Dustin.

I'd visit with all the neighbors. Maybe someone saw one of the others. Like a few others were saying, you might learn a lot from reactions.

I would make a police report, but that said, when a neighbor stole my kids dirt bike years ago, and it was RIGHT THERE in his back yard, the police did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but give me the bike back. Don't expect a lot.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of our utilities are in front of the fence.

I'm all about knowing who done it if it can be proven and they can be punished. I really don't want to know if I can't prove it or they won't admit it.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 seperate wounds? Grazing wounds bruise badly and hurt. Any big swelling or bruise under the fur? Dogs will lick a wound until it's visibly larger and open, which is generally better than a dirty trapped object or wound tract beneath a closed wound. A basic X Ray study will show any retained foriegn bodies but if it's still alive and you haven't already paid a vet bill, it'll probably heal fine without treatment.

Game cameras aimed in the direction of possible assailants? A longshot maybe, but a pic of someone w/ rifle in hand would help police to actually do something.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope the dog recovers. My dogs are taken care of the same if I'm home or away. They are inside all the time and I pay the expense of a dog sitter coming to look after them 3 times per day so I don't come home to a surprise like that. I would hate to think of my dogs sleeping outside over a weekend when they are used to being indoors all the time at night. Hard to say if it got to barking a lot or what with you gone and it outside for that long.

That said, no excuse for someone to shoot at your dog.

Mike

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... if it's still alive and you haven't already paid a vet bill, it'll probably heal fine without treatment.

^^^Worst advice in the thread.

As a veterinarian, I frequently see and treat animals who's owners have followed this advice. Just last night I had to euthanize one where it was too late to do anything else. A week earlier, some antibiotics and maybe an x-ray to make sure nothing else was damaged and it would have been fine.

Get your dog to a veterinarian where the wound can be evaluated and treated. If you had other dogs in the yard, my first thought would be a puncture wound from a canine tooth. I know....your dogs get along perfectly and would never fight. I hear that a lot, usually when treating a dog that another family dog attacked. You said that they are usually inside, so the fact that you were gone and they were outside adds stress, and when dogs are stress they can get snappy, just like people.

If the wounds do end up being a gunshot, then definitely file a police report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom