Installing Security cameras/floodlights at my home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you expound on what defines a 'cheap camera'? (other than the price)
What technical specifications do you recommend?

Good cameras start in the 200 dollar range for an analog and and a little more for an IP based camera. The prices easily triple that for commercial versions.

Analog cameras will be cheaper and easier to install but will be limited on quality and require either a stand alone recorder or a capture card in a computer.

Ip cameras generally are more expensive and require a base knowledge of computer networks to install. The quality generally ( unless you are buying a oober cheap model) begin quality where analog leaves off. stand alone recorders can be found but generally a computer with software is used to record and view video. recording-playback of streamed video is hardware intense and is not well suited for a laptop. Dedicated computers are desired if not mandatory if you are doing more then one camera (MEG). IP cameras are generally easily streamed to remote devices like Iphones

At a minimum I'd look at Speco Intensifier series cameras for analog and Vivotek for IP

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, I would start with good lighting, that is a major deterrent. Park you vehicles close to the house in the driveway if possible, then of course don't leave items of interest or value in the vehicle that will attract attention.

I originally had motion lights on my house but have now gone to LED lighting running all the time at night, the power consumption is really low, and I would prefer to have everything illuminated all of the time.

My street is DARK, so I choose to light up my little portion of it.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on where you live you need to be careful what kind of lighting you use. Some neighborhoods have rules about what kind of lights you can have and how high you can have them.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cameras have came a long ways lately in night vision, 3 years ago, you would have to pay 300-500 for a good low light camera. Now you can find cameras under $100 that have good low light performance with IR leds to help light up the site. I have used several of these for home systems and have been pleased with them.
http://www.apexcctv.com/p-532-hi-resolution-weatherproof-ir-security-camera.aspx
They are Sony 1/3" CCD with IR leds built in. This will give you a decent picture out to about 30' at night. I use these with 7 watt compact florescent bulbs to highlight critical areas. You can always spend more on cameras if you want.
If you need a spot light, look for a PR20 or PR38 type of fixture, they work well, and you can shop around for the best light bulb, or upgrade to LEDS when your budget allows. LEDs will pay for them selves in a short time.
If you budget is tight, spend the money of cameras, and pick up a video capture card to place in a PC. You can pick up a used PC with XP on it for around $100 and you will have a working system. I have found that these systems need some one to check them every day to make sure they are working properly. Windows likes to lock up at times, etc.
I like the stand alone DVRs because of the reliability. Most of them now will have networking included, very nice to use your laptop to log in and watch what is going on, or to view and save video from last night. USB is also nice to be able to save to a flash drive. I have used 4, 8, and 9 channel stand alones from this site, with good luck. Buy them without the drive and pick up a drive at your local puter store. Most places would install the drive for little or nothing for you.
I can vouch for these two DVR's installed with no problems or headaches.
http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1001-4-channel-h264-security-dvr.aspx
http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1002-8-channel-h264-security-dvr.aspx
I am not connected in any way with this site, but have bought a lot from them, first from ebay, then from the web site over the last 4 years.

If you want more information, drop me a PM with phone number and time to call, and I would be glad to answer questions etc.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can get a really nice HD camera for under $200. I have one installed on my house along with other cameras at my house and other business's so that I can show them to customers so that they can see the differences. IP cameras are by far the best, but also by far the most expensive. I also personally prefer a stand alone DVR because they are very user friendly.
Each situation is very different, and products and prices will vary greatly depending on the owners expectations. If you are just wanting something cheap and simple and dont care about having a lot of detail from your cameras, go for a box system from Sams or such. If you are wanting to be able to tell if the person breaking to your car or business is blond haired, blue eyed, and wearing a Under Armor hoodie, you will be dissapointed with a cheap system.
I can not come on here and say that I know everything there is to know about camera systems, I am sure that there are plenty of folks who know more than I do...but...I can honestly say that every customer that I have installed a custom camera system for was very pleased with it. I can also say that I know of several people who are not very happy with the box systems that they had me install for them, luckily they provided the system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom