Lake Lawtonka

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have time the Charon's Garden hiking trail is a must do. It takes you through some rough country, and if there has been a recent rain, a beautiful little waterfall. The trail is 4 miles long if I remember right, so if you only have one vehicle that makes for an 8 mile hike.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulp said:
If you have time the Charon's Garden hiking trail is a must do. It takes you through some rough country, and if there has been a recent rain, a beautiful little waterfall. The trail is 4 miles long if I remember right, so if you only have one vehicle that makes for an 8 mile hike.
And, if you download a free GPS backpacker type of program for your phone, they always have this trail already in the list as a trail in Oklahoma that must be taken. It already has the map, waypoints and all that for you.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was at Sill, we never went there for the service, because no matter what, it was gonna be better than the service on post. (now that I mention it, so was the food...)

Has it been a long time since you left the service? Meers has the Big Burger but in general the chow-halls on Post are pretty good now. I would rather have all the food from a Chow-Hall as the sides, salad, etc. and a Meers burger with it. And just so you don't think I am just inured to Army food - I am actually retired USAF who happens to work at FT Sill now.

If there are any Lawtonka vacationers still reading this thread - you can also get decent Chinese food at a little restaurant that just opened in Elgin - about 11 miles East of Lake Lawtonka on Meers-Porter Hill Road. It is authentic Chinese-American comfort food (i.e. the stuff Americans like not the stuff the Chinese actually eat - which IMHO is a good thing). Prices are decent and the portions are large (The OK standard I've noticed) for you big dudes/gals.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were atop Mt. Scott just last Wednesday!

I was born in Lawton, although I grew up here. Both my parents grew up there, and my grandparents lived there. My dad took me to the Wichitas all the time. We'd hike around for hours. I remember once asking him, "Daddy, where are we?" We had been hiking for hours. He stopped, looked all around, and replied, "I'm really not sure." I never knew if he was kidding, and he can't remember.

Anyway, there are a lot of REALLY neat places to go. They have a book or two in the visitor center thing. Well worth the $$$ if you like finding neat stuff; an old silver mine, the 40 ft hole, etc. My dad never needed directions, but I sure do. Do NOT pet the bison. They are mean as Hell, and easy to spook. Also, watch where you step. Rattlers, and such.

Have fun!

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SuperDave,

I am a transplant to Lawton - basically following the jobs after military retirement - and the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is a great place to visit. There are a large number of great trails from very easy/wheelchair accessible to moderately challenging and definitely not wheelchair friendly. All have have great natural beauty, the chance of seeing bison and longhorn up close and wonderful vistas. SD was right do not approach the bison or longhorn they are not pets or ranch cattle - they are wild and will attack if they feel threatened. Sometimes they stand very close to humans but at their choosing - if you push the point they may flee or attack.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Medicine Park is a cool place w/lots of history. Also, the Holy City is where we went at Easter sunrise when I was a teenager, awesome place. Meers is also an interesting place w/ good burgers as mentioned. Have fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom