Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m blessed to have a standing invitation (“No need to call”) from one of the deacons at our little country church to fish his three cattle ponds and shoot/hunt whenever I like. He has several properties but this one is about 750 acres and it’s not 5 minutes from my house. I can certainly see how things can quickly get out of hand. I’ve mentioned this to a few people and they’re not one bit shy about asking me to bring them next time I go. I say “sure” but never would bring them, it’s not my place. I get a funny feelin’ that if I did they’d start showing up on their own and causing trouble. Here’s a pic of the Mrs holding a nice bass she caught and our church friend. View attachment 303674

I love that picture. Your friend just looks like "Oklahoma". Thanks for posting that.

Like the OP I moved here from a western state that has an abundance of public recreational lands. That's the only downside I considered when I was thinking of moving here. But it was overwhelmed by the positive reasons for moving here. So, like many have stated, I bought my own chunk of property so I'd have a little room to "recreate".

I couldn't be happier. I love it here. But, I don't fish so I have nothing constructive to offer the OP in terms of advice.

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not Texas, Arizona. Lots of BLM land and while not tons of public fishing spots down south, the more northern you get in AZ the better the fishing gets. I wasn't asking if I should break the rules/law or not. I guess that was my fault for miscommunication. I guess what I have read is, and like some of you have said is that if the state stocks it you have to let the public fish it for a fee but again if I am pissing someone off just by fishing "their" pond in their neighborhood then im not interested. I just never see anyone fishing these areas and was curious but I respect the homeowners and their property rights, I just know SOME people like to think they own the access to everything when they really dont, as entitlement goes both ways. I just wanted some clarification.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The lazy land owner will just sling some lead and say, "I decided to do some shootin, and I did not know anyone was on my land at the time!"

Not sayin that is what I would do, just sayin though!
Parking on the road far away, and out of site, from the house, climbing, and screwing up the fence, ignoring the private property signs, could keep you from getting caught, but where is your respect of others? Then again you could get back to your vehicle to find four flat tires, with punctures that are too big to fix! I figure this distruction of private property is OK, if I don't get caught, RIGHT?

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my younger days i did alot of pond fishing with permission of the land owners, but never removed any of the fish i caught it was a catch/release for me i just enjoyed the relaxation of the sport of fishing and the peace and quite.
I own several ponds, and in the 45 years I have owned this land, and MADE PAYMENTS ON IT, for most of that time, I have never refused to let anyone fish that came to the house, or called, and ask! I have made a few enimies that throught they would take advantage of my GOOD NATURE, I have a RAZR and that makes it easy, for this fat, lazy, land owner to catch them! The people that fish with permission, have even helped stock these ponds, and keep the trash picked up, they respect me, as much as I do them!

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reminds me when I used to surf fish down near Atlantic City, NJ. Some people thought they owned the Ocean and the sand leading to it. I had a fifteen foot Diawa rod and reel good for over 100 yards out. Went to my favorite fishing spot one morning at five am and a woman called from the balcony of her house about 100 feet away that I was trespassing on her Oceanfront property and told me to scat. I ignored her until the police showed up at which time I had a 30lb Stripped Bass on the line. While me and the two Officers talked the woman was hollering that I was illegally fishing without a license and when they told her one wasn't needed she complained that I was too noisy. She was finally told to get back in her house as she was being loud and obnoxious and subject to arrest. At that point I removed the hook from the bass picked it up, thanked the two officers and headed to my Jeep and went on my way. In the ensuing months I found a much better spot without houses around just off Barnegat Bay.

I had a gal get pretty heated with me on Eufaula one time over pulling my boat up close to"her beach".

I listened until I got tired of it, then she got to listen to me for a little while. It's a COE lake. It ain't GRDA. you don't own shore line.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a gal get pretty heated with me on Eufaula one time over pulling my boat up close to"her beach".

I listened until I got tired of it, then she got to listen to me for a little while. It's a COE lake. It ain't GRDA. you don't own shore line.
Fishing at a GRDA, or Corp lake, or the ocean, is not the same as fishing on someones privately owned land! Some lakes, Grand for instance, which is a GRDA lake, individules do own the water front, I think? They can build docks, boat houses, and private ramps, down to, and on the water?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a beautiful pond here in the neighborhood just about 500 yards from my front door. I have been chomping at the bit to get down to the pond and throw a lure in the water and from what I have seen so far there is plenty of room to cast and I see folks catching bass and catfish regularly. My property doesn't border the pond but my property does border the gentleman who's parents owned all the land around us including Quail Springs Mall.

With that being said, if you want to know the name to drop to fish this gem let me know via PM and I will share the wealth with those I would love to meet from OSA.

The only time I've seen anyone giving someone fishing a hard time is when they earned it, just like in real life if you are respectful, courteous and listen to who is putting up some resistance you might find life getting easier. I never see trash on or in the pond so someone is doing it right.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a beautiful pond here in the neighborhood just about 500 yards from my front door. I have been chomping at the bit to get down to the pond and throw a lure in the water and from what I have seen so far there is plenty of room to cast and I see folks catching bass and catfish regularly. My property doesn't border the pond but my property does border the gentleman who's parents owned all the land around us including Quail Springs Mall.

With that being said, if you want to know the name to drop to fish this gem let me know via PM and I will share the wealth with those I would love to meet from OSA.

The only time I've seen anyone giving someone fishing a hard time is when they earned it, just like in real life if you are respectful, courteous and listen to who is putting up some resistance you might find life getting easier. I never see trash on or in the pond so someone is doing it right.
A friend owns a pecan orchard, that borders a state road. he was driving by one day and saw several people across the fence picking up pecans. This is a commercial business! He stopped climbed the fence and ask these people who owns this pecan orchard? The guy said I do, and you are welcome to pick up pecans if you like! So my t friend pick up a few pecans, and left! A really nice guy!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ain't no law can tell the LIVING MAN where to fish.
make 'em run you off. that's what the mexicans do.
just say you couldn't understand the sign.
works for them, seen it plenty of times.

trust me, other than pissing off some silver spoon karen's, no one will care.
You win. Mods please lock.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i just know i've seen some "locals" who would MUCH rather PREVENT you from fishing than fish themselves.

i get it, oh it takes works to stock ponds, we pay money, etc. etc. okay and you might die tomorrow, what was all the work for then?

fish today. keep the fish. my great grandpa had goldfish in a horse tank that took literally zero upkeep, these days they call them fancy "koi" and say it takes "extreme dedication" to keep their fragile ecosystem thriving. BS, he just dumped them in a horse tank and did....absolutely nothing.

it's fish and water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom