Ponds and lakes in "private" neighborhoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t think I’d be supporting a communist ie Woody Guthrie to defend my stance on “Freedom” although it does speak volumes to the mentality some here have. And we wonder why kids are so screwed up today. It’s because they were raised by screwed up parents with screwed up values.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP: If there isn’t a sign, I would try it out. There’s some decent fishing in some neighborhood pond. Also be on the lookout for ponds near schools, colleges, hospitals, etc. There’s tons of great little holes to cast a lure. My neighbor across the street from my old house would catch some awesome fishing going to places like this. The close to home fishing can be great too. I would catch some pretty big bluegill fly fishing in the CTH fishing spot near my old house.

in my old neighborhood there wasn’t a sign saying you couldn’t fish in the pond, but the lady who lived across the street from it would complain at you if you left trash or took “too many“ fish. Mostly common sense/courtesy stuff. I personally wouldn’t be taking any fish out of these small ponds anyways, just due to chemical runoff and stuff. Don’t let all the old grouchy guys turn you away from fishing some of the small stuff, they don’t fish the ponds their fiercely protecting in the neighborhoods either. If you want, you could send me a PM and ill send you a list of some of the good spots around the city to try out.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not talking about someones property I am talking about the ponds/lakes on HUNTX or google maps that say "oklahoma resevoir #2173327" etc I am not trying to sneak onto someones farm pond these are ponds that are supposedly "public" in neighborhoods but have signs that say "fishing for residents only" but the actual laws are different no matter what the people who own the houses near it say. I will respect whatever I just am curious.
The land around the reservoir(s) are usually privately owned which means you have to trespass to gain access to the water.
Have one around here I fished for 20+years, when my buddy passed everyone lost that access. He didn’t mind people driving 100yds to the water at all, heck he even kept the road up. Now that he’s gone you have to trespass to get on the water that way. The new owner destroyed the road and placed tire eaters instead of allowing people to fish.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We all kind of got off on a tangent and my apologies. I think just using some common sense is all you need. If you’re driving down a country road and see a pond behind a fence and there’s cattle around that’s someone’s private property and stay out. If there’s a pond inside a gated community and you have to sneak in when they open the gate for the pizza delivery guy you need to stay out. If there’s a pond within a group of houses/neighborhood that’s not gated and a legal no trespassing sign is NOT posted then knock yourself out. I’d ask some guys at church for help, I’m sure they’d offer some assistance.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you hop a fence you didn’t build it’s called trespassing and if you then fish a pond on that property it’s called stealing making you an entitled thief. Might as well move to California and join the smash and grab crowd who are freezing stealing k owing they won’t get prosecuted. Who’s a think we’d have a bunch of woke entitled people here?
Definitely have some snowflakes for sure. Most ponds in OK NEVER see a fisherman or the owner but go ahead and freak out.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you guys thoughts on people who stop on the side of the road and pet cows and horses that come up to the fence?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely have some snowflakes for sure. Most ponds in OK NEVER see a fisherman or the owner but go ahead and freak out.
Let me see if I understand your logic. If I buy a car, park it in front of my house and never drive it that somehow gives someone else the right to hop in and drive it whenever they want? Please explain to me how what you appear to be suggesting is any different.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understand of the way he thinks since he goes to the grocery store and buys a lot of groceries whoever wants to can come to his house and eat whatever they want when they want to since he's not eating it at the moment and it is free range for whoever wants it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom