lets talk toilets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple toilets that need the wax ring replaced,anybody have suggestions ,tips or tricks they can relay. I tried this once about 30 years ago and it took me two days to get the wax out of my hair.(ya it went that bad) thanks gun peeps

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) Wear surgical gloves.
2) Once you get the old ring out and the new ring in place, try to set the stool as straight down as you can.
3) Hire someone else to do it.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there, done that, and will not do it again...water on the walls and wax all over the tile.

Do yourself a favor and pay someone to do it.

Last edited:

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once a turn has gone down it I really don't want to touch it. That being said. I'm to damn cheap to pay someone for something I can do.

I suggest the waxfree style ring. These things are getting good reviews. The benefit is most come with holes in them for the flange bolts. Meaning. the bolts are held in place with more than luck. We all have set the toilet down and bent the bolts over into the wax ring. Who needs that. the wax free ring is more forgiving.

Gloves.
scraper.
paper towels.
Someone standing by with the profanity beeper(my personal suggestion).
wrench sized for the nuts and water connection to the tank, unless you can remove it by hand.
small hack saw or dremel to cut the new bolts(unless you don't want to use the plastic caps to cover them).
trash bag to set the toilet on when you remove it
trash bag or other plastic bag to put old ring and paper towels in.
replacement ring
PATIENCE LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE
I'm sure there is more needed.

I've never pulled a toilet without finding a broken flange of some sort. Anticipate this and do yourself a favor. Run to Locke and pick up a full repair ring. The kind that secures with 4 anchors. This will save cussing later on.

Once this is all said and done you will probably say. I should have paid someone to do this. Its not rocket science. Its comparable to working on an oddly placed HVAC unit in a way to small closet. But you at least get to do it in the air conditioning.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there, done that, and will not do it again...water on the walls and wax all over the tile.

Do yourself a favor and pay someone to do it.

This. He speaks the truth. Toilets are evil. Those wax rings are the devil. Peer into the filthy hole once toilet is lifted to glimpse toilet hell.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont understand, I have pulled a few toilets and it never went bad. Just heavy to lift mostly. Never had an issue setting it back in place but I had someone down looking helping me guide it on straight. Its not fun but I never had an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom