Looking For Advice on New Mud Tires for the Jeep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had MT/R's on my jeep and loved them. Super tough tires, thick sidewalls but still had good flex. Onroad behavior was good, they lasted a long time! Offroad they were incredible.

They aren't an excellent muddy slop type tire. If you are going to be going in the thick stuff alot, I'd pick something else. That said, I only got stuck in the mud once with those tires...and it was some nice wet deep clay.

I am fixing to buy tires for my truck and am planning on going with BFG KM2's.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never really had any luck with Goodyear tires but thats me. I would condsider BFG's and the KM2 is a top notch mud tire, I would consider it mild as far as street manners and noise.

TurnedTurtle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much time are these going to be used on the road vs. off-road? What kind of offroad driving will you be doing?

The MTR is a great tire unless you are doing some real hardcore off-road driving. In my opinion they don't clear thick mud all that well, have a weak sidewall and are prone to sidewall cuts. If your off-road expeditions aren't to rough then go for the MTR. If you need something a little tougher then I would suggest the BFG Krawler, it is great off-road but not as nice on the pavement.

My :twocents:

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyo Open Country MT, best mud and street tire I have ever owned. Quiet on the road and great off road.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking to buy an american made tire stick with the goodyears's or dunlop's or maybe kelly,firestone or bridgestone. I would stay away from those french brands (michelin,bfg,continental). If you decide to go with the goodyears I'd be happy to send you some coupons that'll get ya $20 back on each tire.

bjl333

Marksman
Reaction score
The MTRs are better on rocks. I have'em on my Dodge and they had good traction offroading. The ProComp Muds are better in mud, thats why they are called muds!!! I have the ProComps on my Jeep and they are a harder tire then the MTRs. I would recommand both from first hand offroading experience. The ProComps are cheaper.

HiTekRedneck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maxxis Buckshot Mudders on my previous and current Z71s. ~30K miles of highway only wore them down to about 1/2 tread. Good highway manners and absolutely rock in the mud! Clean out the thick stuff very well. Will dig to some degree, but I've never been stuck with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom