Metric system isn't half bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't try to do any conversions waist of time and just makes things confusing. I measure and draw everything using the metric system. If I need to make something that needs to fit an existing object, I measure the object with metric calipers or metric ruler. If you go down the conversion rabbit hole I can sure understand the reluctance.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting one of those newfangled 3d printers just to print gears so i don't have to order from overseas. Do you have any recommendations?
Ender 3 about $200.00 on Amazon. Do not buy a Voxelab Aquila even though it's basically the same printer for about $40.00 less. Voxelab used a fake processor on the main board that is having all kinds of compatibility issues. I ended up spending $50.00+ to replace the main board on my Aquila with an Ender to get away from the problems with the fake processor.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the metric system, been using it for years. I worked on import cars right out of high school and most were metric. Back in junior high in the 60s we had a class on the metric system because they were talking then about converting everything over. If they had done it 50 years ago everyone would know it now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone medical facility uses it and has for years. Even Ford's that were exported as far back as the 60's came with metric speedometers lol.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 vote for metric.

I hate fractional measurements. Only an insane person would prefer "nineteen sixty-fourths" instead of "7.54 millimeters".

s-l1000.jpg

I have a laminated poster-sized printout of this hanging on my shop wall for those conversions!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting one of those newfangled 3d printers just to print gears so i don't have to order from overseas. Do you have any recommendations?

Ender 3 about $200.00 on Amazon. Do not buy a Voxelab Aquila even though it's basically the same printer for about $40.00 less. Voxelab used a fake processor on the main board that is having all kinds of compatibility issues. I ended up spending $50.00+ to replace the main board on my Aquila with an Ender to get away from the problems with the fake processor.
Only two things of note I would add, a printer with auto bed leveling makes for much less headache (more expensive though) and match your printer to your use. If your printing gears, you probably will not be using the more common PLA as your material. ABS, PETG or Nylon is more likely with PETG being the most probable. I believe the Ender 3 will do PETG, but BReeves can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All meteorology observations, models and forecasts are done in the metric system, worldwide.
Then just the surface data, only in the US, is converted to the old Imperial System.
When I look at the upper air data to get the 1000mb to 850mb thickness (important to snow forecasting) the value will be in decameters.

Most people who get hostile about the metric (universal standard) system don't know any system, just a few Imperial (English) units.
Ask them how many inches in a mile, furlongs in a league, or the conversion from Miles per hour to feet per second or Furlongs per Fortnight. Conversion nightmare.

Then ask anyone in the rest of the world to convert km/hr to m/sec, or how many cm in a km. Simple.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell me what a 2 by 4 eight feet long in Metric

Well I hope a metric 2 X 4 x 8 feet long is closer than the American 2 X 4.

Depending on what decade and what supplier you went through and what fool was running the equipment a 2 X 4.
Can be 2" X 4" or 50.8 mm X 101.6 mm or could be as small as 1.4" x 3.25" Yea I have purchased some way under sized ones.

I had a house in Canadian Ok that had real 2" X 4" boards in the walls.
My crack house on 13th st in OKC, built in 1940 had all different sizes of wall Studs.

Makes sheetrock work really interesting.

Back to work.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I hope a metric 2 X 4 x 8 feet long is closer than the American 2 X 4.

Depending on what decade and what supplier you went through and what fool was running the equipment a 2 X 4.
Can be 2" X 4" or 50.8 mm X 101.6 mm or could be as small as 1.4" x 3.25" Yea I have purchased some way under sized ones.

I had a house in Canadian Ok that had real 2" X 4" boards in the walls.
My crack house on 13th st in OKC, built in 1940 had all different sizes of wall Studs.

Makes sheetrock work really interesting.

Back to work.
I guess they figured as long as it held the wall up, nobody was going to see it behind plaster, sheetrock or paneling anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom