Moms flip out over tweet telling them to send their kids to school on time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read the tweet again. "Send them on time...."

The school still gets their gov funding if they're late....nothing was said about being on time to pick up your kid in the tweet. The tweet could actually be because they have your child's best interest in mind....was a little surprised at some of the OSA comments as well.
Good Lord! “….pick up children on time….”!!! My mother walked me to kindergarten the first day and followed me to be sure I knew how to get there the second day; I was on my own from then on. I was baby sitting when necessary from age nine (one brother was five years younger and my other was nine years younger. He had a cleft pallet and needed to be fed with a bottle special nipple). I changed ‘cloth’ diapers on that little brother and our sister when she came along the next year. Also, my uncle gave me a Winchester Single Shot .22cal. Rifle and some ammunition before my tenth birthday. I bought my first boat at age twelve and spent days on the Great South Bay on Long Island, NY alone with my five year old brother in that boat. What is it with how people treat children these days? I’m 76 years old and I believe that our society has lost its ‘communal’ mind.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. Failure to attend classes reduces the effectiveness of Mandatory Marxist Indoctrination Programs….. This is INTOLERABLE!
I'm not particularly concerned with supporting Marxist teaching, since I'm a Cold War veteran, but I am concerned about kids learning to read, write, do math, and maybe learn some science and history. My example on missing the discussion of order of operations was drawn from my personal experience as a student. Any of my teachers who found out that I'd become a teacher, for however short a time, would undoubtedly die of a heart attack.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Lord! “….pick up children on time….”!!! My mother walked me to kindergarten the first day and followed me to be sure I knew how to get there the second day; I was on my own from then on. I was baby sitting when necessary from age nine (one brother was five years younger and my other was nine years younger. He had a cleft pallet and needed to be fed with a bottle special nipple). I changed ‘cloth’ diapers on that little brother and our sister when she came along the next year. Also, my uncle gave me a Winchester Single Shot .22cal. Rifle and some ammunition before my tenth birthday. I bought my first boat at age twelve and spent days on the Great South Bay on Long Island, NY alone with my five year old brother in that boat. What is it with how people treat children these days? I’m 76 years old and I believe that our society has lost its ‘communal’ mind.
The problem is you have lost touch with reality of the world today where both parents have to work and cant just take off or show up late when ever they please to be there early, and yes im in about the same time zone as you as far as age goes and yes my mom was home all the time to take care of us and us older kids had to help take care of the younger ones as well and i have changed many cloth diapers myself but with the world the way it is now and both parents having to work just to put a roof over their kids heads it is hard. I know my wife shows up 30 min early and still has to sit in line for 45 mins just to get to the school door to pick ours up most schools dont plan well enough in advance to the over crowding of school but require the parents to drop off and pick up cause schools dont run buses like they use to, if mine did decide to ride the bus i would have to drive her 4 blocks away and be there at 5:30 in order to catch the bus so we chose to drop her off and pick her up. Times are changing and not for the better and hasnt for years.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, public schools are getting a bad rap because they focus on the wrong things. Then they want to whine and cry because no one understands them and how awful they have it. Woe is me.

Get over it. You’re not special and you never were.

Speaking of woe is me, you just love whining about those horrible public schools and act like everything that is wrong in our world today lays at the feet of public schools.

Take your condescension and choke on it . . . other than your weird obsession with trying to critique every little thing I respond with, I have nothing to "get over".

Dang I think BobbyV and Glocktogo need to meet up somewhere, put the gloves on and square off lol

I need to realize some folks aren't worth exchanging posts on here with . . . they're always right and everyone else is clueless. It's one of things I hate about message boards and social media.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Private schools do have specific drop off and pick up times, and most are capable of billing the parent if it becomes a problem. Parents don't want to pay extra so problem solved. Check out the attendance rates on some private schools sometime. Just because parents are paying $5k-$20k a year doesn't mean anything. Had a guy tell me the other day that his school doesn't have excused or unexcused absences anymore. You get 8 days per semester, whether you're gone for flu or a family cruise. Miss more than that, you go before an attendance committee and they evaluate your absences and determine whether or not you'll get credit for that semester or not. If it's excessive or ridiculous, theyll just tell you that you'll need to continue your education somewhere else and have a nice day. He said that has pretty much cured chronic absenteeism. Another perk of a private education.

Our girls have been out of public school for quite some time. I don't even remember what their handbook said about attendance. Heads would explode if public schools dinged kids for their parents mistakes during pick-up and drop-off.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Our girls have been out of public school for quite some time. I don't even remember what their handbook said about attendance. Heads would explode if public schools dinged kids for their parents mistakes during pick-up and drop-off.
The students didn't pay, the parents did. No kids were dinged for anything.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to actually visit a school, talk to a teacher or principal, or attend a school board meeting. This is Oklahoma, not California.

But, then again, you may not want to find out the truth because you would then have to find some other topic to not know anything about.
My granddaughter teaches English and this year she’ll also cover History on the 6th Grade Level in OKC. My best friend’s wife is a recently retired Broken Arrow Tech Ed Teacher, and my great granddaughter’s mother is a teacher in TX. I’ve heard more about what’s going on in Public Schools than I care to know. Several years ago, the Tech Ed Teacher was shoved against the wall by an unruly student and her shoulder was injured. She was instructed NOT TO CALL POLICE and to allow administration to handle the 13 year old punk. He was back in her class before the end of the week (I presume the School Administrator was a proponent of Obama’s Promise Program).

My opinion is that School Administrators are, all to often incompetent with more concern for implementing ‘progressive’ social change than insuring that kids actually (God Forbid) learn something. There are good school systems, but they’re not like when I was young. I’ll remind you that the National Teachers Union successfully petitioned the FBI to investigate parents who were vocally opposed to indoctrinating children in Critical Race Theory. That group is greatly responsible for the deterioration of the effectiveness of education in the United States The renounced progressive educator, John Dewey, would be proud. Here is one of his quotes when he was serving as the US Commissioner of Education 1889:
“Our schools have been scientifically designed to prevent over education from happening. The average American (should be) content with their humble role in life, because they're not tempted to think about any other role.” His work lives on; need I say more?

Latest posts

Top Bottom