More Teens Turning To Ozempic Drug For Weight Loss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the metabolism issue. I believe it to be real.
Mark, one of our RV friends that we travel with has to eat three full meals a day, including fried foods, with two minor meals in between. He is 6’ 2”, weighs 175, takes zero medication, and can’t recall the last time he was sick.
I’m 6’ at 210 lbs eating a small cup of yogurt with added blueberries and one banana for breakfast. No snacks in between the second and last meal of the day which is dinner about 5pm. Moderate activity level meaning I don’t spend time on the couch. Got to be up and doing things, yet I can’t get the weight off.
Metabolism HAS to be an issue.

Dennis, you’ve left out the rest of you food consumption for the day. People often underestimate their daily caloric intake or feel like they eat really good during the week, and don’t count the weekend cheat meals or extra beverages. It’s very easy to eat 1,000-2,000 calories in a meal depending on your food selection which could 2/3 to a full days calorie intake. There are apps like Lose It! or Cronometer for your phone that will let you track calories, you can track for at least two weeks before making any changes to your diet and see what your calorie intake is over those two weeks. You might be surprised.

Lean muscle mass does increase metabolism by some margin. If you both weighed the same and one of you had a higher amount of lean mass, that person would have a slightly higher metabolic rate.

But if you really have a hard time losing weight and suspect it’s not dietary calorie intake you should see a doctor.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I trust 'experts' less and less all the time. Just because they're 'educated' and have letters after their name doesn't mean what it used to.
Turns out there's more and more fraud in science and studies, and the drug companies and food industry have more than a little influence on the medical education system.

Find an expert you like and go with it.

That’s doublespeak. Don’t trust experts, but trust the ones you do.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Registered Dietitians must earn a Master’s degree. Probably, worth more than the opinion of some guy on a gun forum.

And the point is?

I think the master's thing is a recent development. I think a Batchelor's degree in nutrition was sufficient.

Depends on if the guy on a gun forum also has a master's degree. Unless you're calling out specific guys. Not to mention that any guy on a gun forum can do his own research and doesn't need a degree to see the truth.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There were lots of legitimate claims. People suffered with mitral valve regurgitation, and the death sentence of Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. As for your implication that dubious claims were submitted by “greedy lawyers and doctors,”….of course that happened. Similar ******** happens on a daily basis. There are corrupt/criminal professionals, whom seek to cheat and steal. It’s in every profession and every business, in all aspects of life. Some of those people get caught, lose their licenses, and sometimes go to jail. Others do not. Again, just like everyone else. Not unique to doctors and lawyers. (It’s more noticeable, and disgusting, because there is a belief that these professionals swear an oath to basically do right by people. So, there’s an element of betrayal.). It’s just a good idea to avoid those types of people when you come across them.

Unfortunately, the “greedy, soulless, trial lawyer” boogeyman has a basis in reality. Then again so does the “greedy, soulless mega corporation.” Wonder who funded the audit you reference?

Yes, some legitimate claims. Later studies showed the risk of heart valve disease from the medications to be much lower than the original Mayo study that caused the whole panic over Fen-Phen and it’s removal from the market. It’s definitely an interesting case from many perspectives.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And the point is?

I think the master's thing is a recent development. I think a Batchelor's degree in nutrition was sufficient.

Depends on if the guy on a gun forum also has a master's degree. Unless you're calling out specific guys. Not to mention that any guy on a gun forum can do his own research and doesn't need a degree to see the truth.

The point is RDs have spent year studying and must demonstrate they understand the science of nutrition and diet. A Registered Dietician’s informed and educated opinion is going to carry more weight than someone who doesn’t have that degree.

Yup. Anybody can do research. Questionable if they can see the truth.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point is RDs have spent year studying and must demonstrate they understand the science of nutrition and diet. A Registered Dietician’s informed and educated opinion is going to carry more weight than someone who doesn’t have that degree.

Yup. Anybody can do research. Questionable if they can see the truth.

Believe what you want to believe. Have fun with that. Believe the AHA and the ADA (aka registered dieticians) if that's what u want. I don't care. Have a nice day.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it’s probably because you are like most people who eat a Keto diet that are also Never getting into ketosis. Why? Because it takes days of restricting carbohydrate levels below what most people realize it takes to get into ketosis. It’s not diet soda.

“Keto is not easy to maintain, it’s not a palatable diet,” says Andrea Giancoli, a dietician and nutrition consultant in California. Getting 80-90 percent of your calories from fat—which is what’s generally required for keto—is actually difficult. It involves eating a lot of rich, heavy foods with little variety—think fatty meats and gravy on cauliflower. You’re only allowed 10 to 15 grams of carbohydrates per day, and though many dieters stretch that to more like 20 or 30 grams that’s still only about one banana. A single apple could also get you past that limit depending on its size (though the fiber in an apple means that many dieters don’t count those carbs towards their daily limit) and a couple slices of bread likely fulfill the requirement as well.”

https://www.popsci.com/not-in-ketosis/
Only thing I changed was diet soda, I stopped drinking it, water. Soda I was drinking, 0 calorie, 0 carbohydrates. Bam, ketosis afterwards. I do know what it takes. Even with all meat, fish, chicken diet soda is a Keto killer. Tried to eliminate cheese first, no results.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s doublespeak. Don’t trust experts, but trust the ones you do.
You misunderstand my point: pick an expert that you like and follow their advice.
Unless you do your own deep scientific research (more than watch videos, real years-long studies etc) you really don't know who to trust.
Just because they're educated doesn't mean they were taught the truth.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You misunderstand my point: pick an expert that you like and follow their advice.
Unless you do your own deep scientific research (more than watch videos, real years-long studies etc) you really don't know who to trust.
Just because they're educated doesn't mean they were taught the truth.
It seems over the past 4 years trusting the "experts" has made our standard of living worse. Experts recommend electric vehicles, experts suggest lowering our carbon footprint, experts recommend getting the vaccine and multiple boosters, experts recommend synthetic meat, experts recommend don't leave your home, experts recommended stay on your floor, don't try to leave the World Trade Center.

Do research, look back in time. Are there good experts? Yes, but if they're dealing with bad info or false info to begin with...

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the point is?

I only threw my two cents in, not because I have any degree, but because I'm married to a nurse practitioner that does, and has prescribed Semaglutide to people. So I've heard a little about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom