Oklahoma Water Access - Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see you asked the question “if I buy the land, 3 acres will be mine and 12 acres is his, can I fish his side if I don’t get off the water”.

What ya might think about is, if you buy the 3 acres can he fish your side if he doesn’t get off the water?

Like was said above, I’d probably visit with the person, get to know them and see if a mutual agreement could be made first.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor decided to get in a pissing match with another property owner over a little 1acre pond that was split down the middle. However the dam was on the other guys property. In short he removed the dam and put up a fence across where the pond used to be. Nothing for my neighbor to do but wish he had handled it differently lol.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surface water belongs to the people of the state.

The land belongs to the landowner. Want to fish a pond thats land locked, then you need the landowners permission to cross the land to access the pond.

Want to float a canoe in a creek or stream to access a pond, you can do that, you just cant get out and walk on the land around it.

I used to spend a lot of time in the Clareta area and knew several landowners back then and had permission to access their land to fish. One day one landowner was standing on the damn of the watershed when I got there. There was 2 guys in a boat fishing the water shed, landowner said nothing he can do as long as they stay in the boat but as soon as they step out I got em. They had floated a creek to gain access to the watershed.

Of course its always best to get along with folks when it comes to fishing and hunting, some folks are great and understand things, some folks just want to be asses.

Good luck.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummmmm...I think I'd do what is best for the fish and that is to create an environment for them on my side of the pond. Some fish like cooler water so I'd dredge out my side of the pond to make the fish a little happier on my side...just thinking, my neighbor suggested this for a friend of his who has a friend in a similar situation.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surface water belongs to the people of the state.

The land belongs to the landowner. Want to fish a pond thats land locked, then you need the landowners permission to cross the land to access the pond.

Want to float a canoe in a creek or stream to access a pond, you can do that, you just cant get out and walk on the land around it.

I used to spend a lot of time in the Clareta area and knew several landowners back then and had permission to access their land to fish. One day one landowner was standing on the damn of the watershed when I got there. There was 2 guys in a boat fishing the water shed, landowner said nothing he can do as long as they stay in the boat but as soon as they step out I got em. They had floated a creek to gain access to the watershed.

Of course its always best to get along with folks when it comes to fishing and hunting, some folks are great and understand things, some folks just want to be asses.

Good luck.

That’s not true. You own the water that’s in a private pond that is solely on your property. If it’s a big enough pond/lake fracing companies will pay you good money for that water when they are fracing wells in that area. A navigable waterway that runs through your property is a different story.

https://www.owrb.ok.gov/supply/ocwp...ommittee/WATER LAW_MANAGEMENT IN OKLAHOMA.pdf

1AAACAA0-96E9-4A70-A7B7-9F06D09A9F4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rickt300

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't fish his side at all. Even if it was OK with him. Build some structure on your side, putt a deer feeder in a foot or two of water and fish there right after it runs.

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this is a future purchase, I'd go into this with the mentality of "is this property something I want as it is if those 3 acres were all I could access". Even if you and the other land owner get along great, he could die, move, sell, etc. The conditions around your property when you buy it, may or may not be the same down the road. I have always said if I win the lottery, I am going to buy a full square mile section, and put my house right in the middle. That way I can control what I see completely around me. Too many times we have moved into an area only for things to change that changes our perspective of the place. We are currently once again in that situation and wondering if we want to mess with moving again, or just wait until retirement and go then.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this is a future purchase, I'd go into this with the mentality of "is this property something I want as it is if those 3 acres were all I could access". Even if you and the other land owner get along great, he could die, move, sell, etc. The conditions around your property when you buy it, may or may not be the same down the road. I have always said if I win the lottery, I am going to buy a full square mile section, and put my house right in the middle. That way I can control what I see completely around me. Too many times we have moved into an area only for things to change that changes our perspective of the place. We are currently once again in that situation and wondering if we want to mess with moving again, or just wait until retirement and go then.
That is the spot we are in right now but dont plan on doing anything about it until the kids are out of school.

Your solution is the same thing I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to do, the truth of the matter is it will probably be a small concrete hunting cabin for me to escape to and we will live in a neighborhood since neither of us want to give up fiber internet access and nearby stores.

Latest posts

Top Bottom