once fired guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The classifieds have been in turmoil here for a while. Anyone who has been here for a while can attest to that. The community as a whole has changed (and grown to the point that a lot of the good folks who used to post quite frequently hardly post anymore).

Not knocking any new members as new shooters are always welcome to the community (provided they contribute something positive and don't take away from the community).

I see a lot of newer shooters that don't know the market very well and ask quite a bit too much for a used gun that they probably paid too much for.

By that same token, I've purposely started asking more for items I sell because I will undoubtedly get a ton of lowball offers from either 1-5 post noobs or the standard buzzards who scrape the classifieds looking to get all the deals.

That's not how the community used to work. Lately I've seen a lot of wrong advice based on myths or just misinformation. Lots of new-to-gun folks are bad about repeating stuff like this. I myself was guilty of some of it back when I first started shooting. The best thing to do when still learning is to make sure you know what you're talking about - especially when doing so on a forum with thousands of people reading what you're typing.

There is also an abundance of folks who think that if something looks similar to a much more expensive item, it must be worth just as much.

Not trying to get into "just as good" but some things (like optics, accessories, lights, lasers...) cost more and some cost less - putting a bunch of junk on a gun doesn't make it worth more just because it looks cool. Google is out there for everyone to check prices.

The best advice for new shooters is education before you buy. Its tempting to impulse buy without knowing the proper pricing but that often leads to buyers remorse and to an over-priced used gun here in the classifieds.

It is truly a free market but when enough people fail to understand that market, it screws everything up to the point that people end up going elsewhere to sell good gun items and other people come here to sell treasures for too much and pretty soon there's nothing else going on in the community.

Quoted for truth.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree, but you know it's also damn funny how so many act like 1,000 or 5,000rds through a decent weapon has used up most of it's life. Doesn't bother me as long as it was treated well.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree, but you know it's also damn funny how so many act like 1,000 or 5,000rds through a decent weapon has used up most of it's life. Doesn't bother me as long as it was treated well.

Yep ... I especially like the WTB threads ... "I want a brand spanking new gun for less than half the going rate of a used one" ... LOL

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like to buy guns to keep a while, then sell or trade, then price becomes important. On the other hand, if you buy WWII stuff to collect and never sell like I do, then price is not as important as condition.

I'm not talking about collectibles that is a totally different subject. I talking about guns you can buy brand new at Academy and someone has that same gun USED for more. The market is set by the price of a new gun, it's quality caftsmanship, and who made it. Not by some jack855 who messed up and paid too much for a used gun.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the main thing people on here have a problem with, is that you aren't going to get 95% return on investment on custom work you have had done. The more work a gun has had done on it, usually the smaller mass appeal it has. Think about all of the wonderful shotguns from years past that have a cutts on them. People thought that was a great thing to do, but in hindsight it really lowered the guns value and appeal to potential buyers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the main thing people on here have a problem with, is that you aren't going to get 95% return on investment on custom work you have had done. The more work a gun has had done on it, usually the smaller mass appeal it has. Think about all of the wonderful shotguns from years past that have a cutts on them. People thought that was a great thing to do, but in hindsight it really lowered the guns value and appeal to potential buyers.

Although some fine engraving on a shotgun will certainly enhance its selling potential....as long as it not a mossberg or Rem.

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The classifieds have been in turmoil here for a while. Anyone who has been here for a while can attest to that. The community as a whole has changed (and grown to the point that a lot of the good folks who used to post quite frequently hardly post anymore).

Not knocking any new members as new shooters are always welcome to the community (provided they contribute something positive and don't take away from the community).

I see a lot of newer shooters that don't know the market very well and ask quite a bit too much for a used gun that they probably paid too much for.

By that same token, I've purposely started asking more for items I sell because I will undoubtedly get a ton of lowball offers from either 1-5 post noobs or the standard buzzards who scrape the classifieds looking to get all the deals.

That's not how the community used to work. Lately I've seen a lot of wrong advice based on myths or just misinformation. Lots of new-to-gun folks are bad about repeating stuff like this. I myself was guilty of some of it back when I first started shooting. The best thing to do when still learning is to make sure you know what you're talking about - especially when doing so on a forum with thousands of people reading what you're typing.

There is also an abundance of folks who think that if something looks similar to a much more expensive item, it must be worth just as much.

Not trying to get into "just as good" but some things (like optics, accessories, lights, lasers...) cost more and some cost less - putting a bunch of junk on a gun doesn't make it worth more just because it looks cool. Google is out there for everyone to check prices.

The best advice for new shooters is education before you buy. Its tempting to impulse buy without knowing the proper pricing but that often leads to buyers remorse and to an over-priced used gun here in the classifieds.

It is truly a free market but when enough people fail to understand that market, it screws everything up to the point that people end up going elsewhere to sell good gun items and other people come here to sell treasures for too much and pretty soon there's nothing else going on in the community.

Agree wholeheartedly, especially with the bold. Just because something looks similar doesn't mean that it's the same quality.

I also think the environment of this community has gone downhill. I haven't even been here a particularly long time and it sure seems things have changed since I've been around.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya'll sound like the old guys at the quickshop in the mornings whining about the good old days.

I see good deals in there most days. At the same time, there are some bad ones most days too. When you have multiple pages of posts for just one day in a classified section, you're going to get a mix of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom