once fired guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The classifieds have been in turmoil here for a while. Anyone who has been here for a while can attest to that. The community as a whole has changed (and grown to the point that a lot of the good folks who used to post quite frequently hardly post anymore).

Not knocking any new members as new shooters are always welcome to the community (provided they contribute something positive and don't take away from the community).

I see a lot of newer shooters that don't know the market very well and ask quite a bit too much for a used gun that they probably paid too much for.

By that same token, I've purposely started asking more for items I sell because I will undoubtedly get a ton of lowball offers from either 1-5 post noobs or the standard buzzards who scrape the classifieds looking to get all the deals.

That's not how the community used to work. Lately I've seen a lot of wrong advice based on myths or just misinformation. Lots of new-to-gun folks are bad about repeating stuff like this. I myself was guilty of some of it back when I first started shooting. The best thing to do when still learning is to make sure you know what you're talking about - especially when doing so on a forum with thousands of people reading what you're typing.

There is also an abundance of folks who think that if something looks similar to a much more expensive item, it must be worth just as much.

Not trying to get into "just as good" but some things (like optics, accessories, lights, lasers...) cost more and some cost less - putting a bunch of junk on a gun doesn't make it worth more just because it looks cool. Google is out there for everyone to check prices.

The best advice for new shooters is education before you buy. Its tempting to impulse buy without knowing the proper pricing but that often leads to buyers remorse and to an over-priced used gun here in the classifieds.

It is truly a free market but when enough people fail to understand that market, it screws everything up to the point that people end up going elsewhere to sell good gun items and other people come here to sell treasures for too much and pretty soon there's nothing else going on in the community.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The usual classified- LNIB Super duper tactical heavy barreled bolt gun in 310 Cattle Killa with crappy scope and a bunch of useless add ons. "Only 1 box of ammo shot" (It hurt my shoulder :( ), for at or more than retail new....? Wonder why it slipped off page 1 so quick?

Always pays to learn the fair market value of an item before pulling the trigger on a purchase. I'll surf Gunbroker for completed auction prices (Of items that actually sold), OK shooters and GT for FTF prices. Check Google shopping, Bud's, Express Police Supply and a few others for the going rate for new guns.

If I can't find what I'm looking for FTF, I look out of state for a competitive price, screw the tax. Free shipping, even better. $10 transfers, the cherry on top.

I might be cheap, but I've bought a bunch of guns that interest me...

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The market will determine what is/is not a fair price. A gun (or anything else) is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. If it doesn't sell at the seller's price, the market has spoken.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The market will determine what is/is not a fair price. A gun (or anything else) is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. If it doesn't sell at the seller's price, the market has spoken.

I'll never argue against this. People are absolutely free to ask whatever they want. But when the entire market is filled with folks who are asking too much and nothing is selling it sucks for the community that used to have a healthy fair-priced market with only a few known low-ballers.

Uncle Bobby

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just quickly sort through and ignore ads with unreasonable prices. Doesn't really bother me since I know lots of people buy guns at high priced gun shops or pawn shops and paid too much so they think that is the value of their gun. Used is used, one mag or 100. It is up to the buyer to inspect before they buy. I would never buy a gun based on an ad. That is why Oklahoma Shooters appeals to me. Local people that you can meet and discuss and inspect before buying. It is a great forum and I am a noobie here but not a noobie to guns, shooting and hunting. Been doing it since I was 6 and am 63. All on here were noobies at one time, not necessarily a bad thing.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually price my used guns I sell about 25% off retail to start with if it's a fairly new gun. If it's one I've had a long time then I just put a reasonable price with OBO on it. Sad thing is I still get people asking if I'll take an $800 gun for $200.

Latest posts

Top Bottom