Opioid Crisis in OK; Who’s to Blame?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How slippery do you think this slope is going to get?

We've got society asking Big .Gov't to hold firearms manufacturers accountable for irresponsible use of firearms, to ban sugary sodas because people can't control themselves, etc.

While there is a place for government protections from extortion, fraud and false advertising, we're on a VERY slippery slope toward a Big Brother protection agency - to protect us from ourselves.

Its going to get ugly!

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i sincerely hope none of you righteous folks need the relief that such meds can provide, reckon we'll see if you walk the walk. if you are terminal and letting nature take it's course, it can take time and a staggering level of pain to finish natures course. i appreciate the relief i get , it allows me to do about 20% of what i once did. it's either that or rot in bed.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
i sincerely hope none of you righteous folks need the relief that such meds can provide, reckon we'll see if you walk the walk. if you are terminal and letting nature take it's course, it can take time and a staggering level of pain to finish natures course. i appreciate the relief i get , it allows me to do about 20% of what i once did. it's either that or rot in bed.

This thread isn't referring to folks in your situation imo Lasher, we're glad you're here posting right along with us.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% agree. My dad was on opiates for years. He was medically retired out of the ANG with back problems in the very early '80s. Later on he got so bad and his other health issues precluded doing a surgery, so these were his only relief. He probably took them for at least 20 years. He was never addicted. Know why? He simply took them as prescribed. It really is just that simple.

This was/is just yet another shakedown of a large company with deep pockets by an Oklahoma DA. A shakedown under color of law, but a shakedown nonetheless.

ETA: @Grendelshooter I also state with druyj. Condolences for you mother.
Not every ones brain is set to be an addict.
1/10 are. Refer to my previous post.
Ignorance is bliss and there's a **** ton of it here referring ignorat opinion about addictive behavior with ignorant opinion.
I've seen it first hand with a dead cousin an my niece who is in rehab. Not me thank god

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not every ones brain is set to be an addict.
1/10 are. Refer to my previous post.
Ignorance is bliss and there's a **** ton of it here referring ignorat opinion about addictive behavior with ignorant opinion.
I've seen it first hand with a dead cousin an my niece who is in rehab. Not me thank god
Well since you've quoted me I'll respond in kind. I have first hand experience with addiction. I've heard it all and I've personally witnessed it all Clay, so don't lecture me about addiction. My son is a heroin and morphine addict. OK? He's OD'd I don't even know how many times. An OCPD officer saved his life once and he woke up in the ER not knowing what the hell happened or where he was. He OD'd in a grocery store after smoking what turned out to be fentanyl in the bathroom. I know vaguely of other times he's OD'd too. He's done so much heroin that it doesn't even get him high anymore. It only keeps him from withdrawl. To get high he has to lace it with benzos or fentanyl or in his words "whatever I can get my hands on". He's almost died from other legit illnesses directly related to his addiction too. End stage renal failure once that 8 months of dialysis got him back to somewhat normal and a couple years after that it was infective endocarditis with the complication of septic emboli. Look that one up.

To this day he still refuses to get help unless it's in the manner he chooses and according to his terms, which simply means he wants to be able to "game the system" in his recovery (I.E. keep using). I fully expect that at any given time a police officer will knock on my door and give me the news of his passing. It'll be from an OD or his heart quits due to the valve replacement that he needs but won't get done. He and his mother say it's a "disease". I call ********. I can't get heroin addiction from being around him. A cancer patient can't wake up one morning and decide they don't have cancer anymore. An addict can do exactly that. Nope. He brought this on himself, for whatever reason, but it's on him. He chose the road he travels just like we all do.

And since you've brought it up on multiple occasions, doctors do in fact know about the addictive properties of opiates. Not only that, it's common knowledge among the general public all over the world. And it has been common knowledge for several centuries now. Opium? Yeah, it's been around awhile. That is what BS. Big pharma and doctors ain't the damn problem.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, there’s obviously two sides to this issue and it seems the two aren’t going to meet on common ground. Can we just agree to disagree on this and stop flinging poo?

I somewhat liken addiction or abuse of drugs, legal and otherwise to alcoholism and abuse. Yet no one is suing the liquor stores or the companies that make legal alcoholic beverages for the many accidents and deaths caused by drunk drivers. Why not?

We rail against the idea of suing firearms manufacturers for the fact that their legal products are used in crimes and mass shootings. Oh no; can’t touch that! No way is it their fault! It’s the person who pulled the trigger! How can you blame Glock and Ruger and S&W? How dare you blame those many companies who make the most popular rifle in the USA, the legal AR-15? Clearly, it’s not their fault that somebody started shooting up a crowd of people or a school full of kids. It is the bad guys fault. He’s the problem.

But sue the drug companies for making a legal product that can also ruin lives and cause death? Oh yeah. Let’s go after them! We can get big bucks from this one! I say it was a calculated gamble, fueled in part by the media who has promoted and proclaimed an “opioid crisis” and stoked the fires of the issue. Oh yeah, let’s sue the people who make these legal drugs, and maybe blame the doctors for legally prescribing them too. That way, at least partially, the many people who are in dire straits because of legal opioids can be labeled as “victims” of big pharmaceutical companies; companies who like Jim Beam and Budweiser and Glock make legal products that can be and are dangerous if abused or misused.

Now, I don’t know anyone, any adult, whose life has not been negatively affected by alcohol abuse or alcoholism. Not one single adult. Either they are one, they have a loved one who is, they have suffered loss from it, or live behind a closed door with it. In some fashion, abuse of alcohol is rampant. Yet, drinking is both legal and socially acceptable. We always put the blame on a tragedy on the person who tipped the bottle, who chose to drive drunk...but if a kid gets high on pills he stole, sometimes from his own parents, a woman OD’s on prescription drugs, etc and people blame the pharmaceutical companies, it seems to be alright to some. Yeah, we got somebody to blame for this besides our own selves.

I don’t get it. My own adult daughter has stolen our prescription meds, she stole them from us, from her own grandpa, right after he had open heart surgery, and from her best friend, right after she was hurt badly in a car accident, caused by a drunk driver. Yet somehow, this victory over Johnson & Johnson proclaims them at least partially at fault? She never had a legitimate legal prescription herself, she just wanted to get high and to hell with the needs of anyone else, even her so called loved ones. So she stole our pain meds, knowing we wouldn’t be able to replace them, knowing I’d have to watch her mother go through withdrawals until her next appointment with the pain doctor. And it’s the drug companies fault? I just don’t get it.

But I respect the right to disagree, and I shall endeavor to fling no poo on those whose opinion differs. I also get it that the various circumstances related to legal drugs are different than legal alcohol and legal guns, but you get my point, however poorly phrased.

Please, let’s discuss it, but let's attack the topic and not each other.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom