OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m late to this discussion, but could the problem with OU football be as simple as players not paying attention in the film room?
I'm thinking it must be something like that. Because OU HAS plenty of talent to compete with the two teams that soundly beat them. But they looked helpless against KSU, and TOTALLY helpless against TCU. I don't have much hope for this game, but ya never know... still....

Sooner born
Sooner bred
When I die, I'm a Sooner dead.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Also: Alabama currently has 137 players on their roster.

Appalachian State has 116.
As a player: what are your chances of being a standout on a team of 116 guys in FCS vs your chances of being a standout on a team of 137 in the SEC? you're a three star recruit who wants to play your freshman year because you think you are good enough. do you sit for three years and hope you get ONE SEASON to actually show the scouts what you've got?

or
do you sign with appalachian state and become one of their 10 kids going to the NFL? you realize a CERTAIN NUMBER of players HAVE to be drafted every year, right?

Let me phrase this another way: would a player who is mediocre at a "blue blood" have a better chance than a standout at "lesser" school? by all measures, i think you proved yourself wrong on this one. lots has to do with position, some positions its not nearly as big of a deal to be backup. some positions it's the end of your career before it even starts.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody seen the Vegas odds on the OU/Tex game?

With the crappy performance of both teams this year there might be some crazy money to be made off the game this year.
Texas is favored by 5 right now (Wednesday morning). It's just a question of which team out-craps the other.

This has traditionally been a game where odds, records, recent history... none of that matters, and the favored team doesn't necessarily win. I'm not a gambler, but if I were... I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also: Alabama currently has 137 players on their roster.

Appalachian State has 116.
As a player: what are your chances of being a standout on a team of 116 guys in FCS vs your chances of being a standout on a team of 137 in the SEC? you're a three star recruit who wants to play your freshman year because you think you are good enough. do you sit for three years and hope you get ONE SEASON to actually show the scouts what you've got?

or
do you sign with appalachian state and become one of their 10 kids going to the NFL? you realize a CERTAIN NUMBER of players HAVE to be drafted every year, right?

Let me phrase this another way: would a player who is mediocre at a "blue blood" have a better chance than a standout at "lesser" school? by all measures, i think you proved yourself wrong on this one. lots has to do with position, some positions its not nearly as big of a deal to be backup. some positions it's the end of your career before it even starts.

Joey, you're still moving the goalposts to fit your argument. Your original statement was talking about someone going to play for OU. OU doesn't typically get "mediocre blue bloods." Now you're babbling about 3 star recruits. Whether you like it or not, or no matter what your theory you come up with, the facts don't lie. The kids will go to the conference that gives them the best exposure for their talent level and playing competitive football and NIL will obviously have a huge factor in the equation as well. If they are lesser known, sure Nowhere State is a great option. You surely will have the off the beaten path 4 or 5 star somewhere outside of a power 5 but it's not the norm.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
0634A1B7-323A-4069-A644-511DC29B2637.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom