Active Shooter on OU campus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What has happened is that "journalism" has replaced "reporting".

Reporting is just that: a report. Who, what, where, when.

Journalism has a connotation of writing a journal, i.e. opinion.

All I want is a report of what happened. No conjecture, no opinion, no slant, no made-up anything.

Just tell me what happened.
I see your angle, the definition of journalism at M.W. does seem to leave room for opinion...

b : writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation
c: writing designed to appeal to current popular taste or public interest

I guess the idea I'm thinking of is maybe "investigative journalism", seeking and reporting more facts than we're getting now including background and follow ups. There are lot of things going on both here and abroad that get little if any coverage.
One good local example I'd point out is Lori Fulbright from channel 6 Tulsa. On her FB page separate from the main channel 6 page she covers arrest that don't make the on air news often aren't even on the main news page or station FB. What is more notable is when she reports an arrest she will give background including prior convictions, suspended/deferred sentences etc.. Seems the number of those being handed out and rearrest should be an important subject to be reported . "Arrested in Oklahoma" and the "Repeal 780" pages on FB do some of that as it relates to the "justice reform movement" and diversion programs which of course any mainline news coverage says are wonderful and unquestionable.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you would be out of business within six months.

Society wants more than that. Look at our own threads; we want to see all the manifesto for the Nashville shooter, we want to see all the Hunter Biden files, and on and on.

Like every other business, they are just attempting to give what the market wants.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re talking about what we colloquially refer to as ”Main Campus” (Boyd to Lindsey and Elm to Jenkins), but the Norman campus is a lot bigger than that. It includes properties north of Boyd, but it is generally bounded by Boyd on the north and highway 9 on the south, and, more or less, Chautauqua on the west and the railroad tracks on the east. (And that’s not counting North Base.)
You are correct sir. Add to that OU owns property in around 37 to 40 counties and from time to time they have to send OUPD to investigate crimes that occur at those remote locations. A good example is the fishery's research lab at Lake Texhoma. OU also owns residental properties SE of main campus South of the old Parkview Apartments area. Some of those are rented others serve as crash pads for homeless people from time to time.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was mentioned before about OU property south of the main campus. Back in the '60's (and maybe still), an area referred to then as "South Campus" had military style barracks that had been converted to apartments and were rented out to students. My sister and brother-in-law lived in one, so for the one year I attended OU, I stayed with them. B-I-L and I would slip out and across the fence and play about three holes of the OU golf course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom