Active Shooter on OU campus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s kind of a catch 22. We definitely don’t want them to ignore things like this situation, but the media has a proven track record of making mountains out of mole hills and skewing the facts to fit their agenda.
Well at least we can trust other sources like the U.S. Education Department right?

"more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened"

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The technology is no more to blame than are guns. It's all about who's doing what with the technology.
With AI it is it's own technology, sentient = I can choose. To be truly sentient you can actually change your own programing, I can decide to be a jerk today, in spite of what I have been told. In the AI world, "I am not happy, everybody needs to be unhappy with me, where are those launch codes? Oh, I can hack them..." AI, "I'm going to be funny today, I will hack Mav's bank passwords and transfer all his money into Trump for President and create a deep fake of him going to the bank and requesting that to be done." Guns are dependent on how a human uses them, technology is not. Anyone now think technology isn't dangerous?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With AI it is it's own technology, sentient = I can choose.
Generalized AI is what you’re discussing, and it doesn’t exist, and won’t for the foreseeable future. What we have now are subsets of machine learning, which are really just advanced predictive text machines.

As with guns, these technologies are only as dangerous as the people who program and use them.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, somebody hears a loud noise and IMMEDIATELY assumes it is a firearm going off and notifies the college administration. Then the administration IMMEDIATELY goes off with dire warnings, causing lock downs and panic, for something that just didn't happen, but we are supposed to think that the media is going to be truthful with what they actually report?

If the media had reported that a group of people across from where the "incident" supposedly happened "didn't hear anything to be concerned about," do you suppose that would have been the appropriate thing to do? You know, to inform the public that there was really nothing serious going on.
Nobody heard any noise.
Somebody from outside the United States called in a false report of an active shooter.
The media should indeed broadcast “Individuals who were in the area at the time are reporting that they did not hear and shots fired. Police are still clearing the area to ensure it is safe.”

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody heard any noise.
Somebody from outside the United States called in a false report of an active shooter.
The media should indeed broadcast “Individuals who were in the area at the time are reporting that they did not hear and shots fired. Police are still clearing the area to ensure it is safe.”
Borrrring...

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody heard any noise.
The problem with the media reporting that bystanders outside did not hear any shots could give a false sense of security to those that were inside the school where an actual shooting (if there was an actual shooting) was taking place. Like the 'false' fire alarm, this sense of security could bring those out from hiding right into the shooters sight-picture.
Our media needs to go back to reporting FACT rather than conjecture, or what 'sells'.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generalized AI is what you’re discussing, and it doesn’t exist, and won’t for the foreseeable future. What we have now are subsets of machine learning, which are really just advanced predictive text machines.

As with guns, these technologies are only as dangerous as the people who program and use them.
It may or may not. The best defense would be to play "dumb." If you can't identify the threat how can you determine it is a threat? Even if we don't have Generalized AI bill gates is licking his chops at the prospect of companies scrapping human customer service / support for AI. How many jobs will be lost (as well as customers)? Top Employers in 1980 were GM, Ford, Mobil and Exxon. 2020 It is Walmart, Amazon and Allied Universal. How well do those jobs pay? 2025 probably Burger King, McDonalds and Taco Bell.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody heard any noise.

I heard or read some report that one of those confetti poppers might have been "discharged," thus perhaps leading someone to think it was a gunshot and reporting it. However, I recognize that the so-called discharge might have not occurred or that if it did, no one really did anything with regards to it.

But on a college campus with loads of lefties, anything could happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom