Active Shooter on OU campus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the fact that "media" has replaced "journalism" part of the problem? Who is Howard Beale?

What has happened is that "journalism" has replaced "reporting".

Reporting is just that: a report. Who, what, where, when.

Journalism has a connotation of writing a journal, i.e. opinion.

All I want is a report of what happened. No conjecture, no opinion, no slant, no made-up anything.

Just tell me what happened.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may or may not. The best defense would be to play "dumb." If you can't identify the threat how can you determine it is a threat?
There are enough dangers in this world without inventing boogeymen. Right now, the biggest problem with “AI” is people anthropomorphizing it and ascribing qualities to it that it doesn’t actually have. Case in point is when people say it’s confidently giving wrong answers when it’s doing no such thing—it’s just giving answers. People are just interpreting it as confidence.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know people who were there. There were no confetti poppers, fireworks, cars backfiring, etc. This entire event was fabricated completely by a person knowingly making a false report via phone. It was exactly a "swatting" type incident. There was no loud noise or threatening behavior on OU's campus that evening. It was a horse's arse probably using VOIP with a VPN calling from outside the US. The random guy using public wi-fi in some 3rd world country will likely never be identified. Hopefully all the LE agencies involved will use what they learned to make future responses occur just as quickly but with better interagency communications. Everybody responding had radios but many of them could not talk to the agency with jurisdiction (who arrived on scene first and were responsible for Incident Command) or other responding agencies. At this point there are no "training points" for the responders needed. Everyone knows their jobs and are ready to execute the response. The larger fixes, like the communications problems, are issues that can only be fixed with large amounts of funding that currently don't exhist. While OU has property all over the state, Norman Campus is roughly half a mile wide (east to west) by 2 miles long (north to south). There are routinely over 30,000 people in that space on weekdays. A few days a year that number is well over 100,000 in that space.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know people who were there. There were no confetti poppers, fireworks, cars backfiring, etc. This entire event was fabricated completely by a person knowingly making a false report via phone. It was exactly a "swatting" type incident. There was no loud noise or threatening behavior on OU's campus that evening. It was a horse's arse probably using VOIP with a VPN calling from outside the US. The random guy using public wi-fi in some 3rd world country will likely never be identified. Hopefully all the LE agencies involved will use what they learned to make future responses occur just as quickly but with better interagency communications. Everybody responding had radios but many of them could not talk to the agency with jurisdiction (who arrived on scene first and were responsible for Incident Command) or other responding agencies. At this point there are no "training points" for the responders needed. Everyone knows their jobs and are ready to execute the response. The larger fixes, like the communications problems, are issues that can only be fixed with large amounts of funding that currently don't exhist. While OU has property all over the state, Norman Campus is roughly half a mile wide (east to west) by 2 miles long (north to south). There are routinely over 30,000 people in that space on weekdays. A few days a year that number is well over 100,000 in that space.

I'm familiar with a large part of the communication problem. CCSO Office and OHP are not on Norman's P25 system, and are on the state system. OKWIN and OMAC basically compete with municipalities that have their own or interagency P25 systems. Oklahoma CIty's P25 system now covers every agency in OK County including OCSO with the exception of Edmond, MWC and DC. Several agencies and neighboring counties are looking at coming onto that system as well. This is huge for interoperability. The issue can be fixed with minimal cost as the agencies with communication issues can come onto the existing systems like OKC and Norman's. OU is not on Norman's P25 system, but there should be a patch, and a connection to CCSO. The issue is more politics than funding. The cost is less per officer than they pay for the officers cell or mobile data plan monthly. If agencies like Arcadia, Jones, Luther, etc can figure it out, there is no reason the larger municipalities cant. There is grant money available if nothing else.

Last edited:

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

All I want is a report of what happened. No conjecture, no opinion, no slant, no made-up anything.

I agree.
But if they just stuck to the facts there would be no 24 hour news cycle.
The news broadcast would be 15 minutes long including commercials.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
OU and Norman PD were negotiating in car video in 2014. The ultimate goal was to assist in what was exactly happening during this hoax. The individual cars could pull up specific video and watch in real time or recorded video what was happening. I was with one of the companies bidding. We didn't get the job because it was cutting edge technology at the time and we were not well versed on the subject.

We had a subcontractor that was going to supply the parts and smarts and us the labor. It was involving a MESH radio network where every camera location was also a repeater. That was in addition to all the rooftop transmitters and repeaters we were planning. I wonder what became of the concept.

Did they ever get the technology to work? We did a smaller project at Rose State but couldn't get the MESH to work 100%. Mostly due to the backbone infrastructure they had.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That in bold letters. If I remember right, there was/is yet a fifth item to "report," and that item was/is the word "how."

(At least, that is what I kind of remember from studying a bit of journalism.)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I heard or read some report that one of those confetti poppers might have been "discharged," thus perhaps leading someone to think it was a gunshot and reporting it. However, I recognize that the so-called discharge might have not occurred or that if it did, no one really did anything with regards to it.

But on a college campus with loads of lefties, anything could happen.
The confetti and popper's were used earlier in the week, that was confirmed that night even.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OU and Norman PD were negotiating in car video in 2014. The ultimate goal was to assist in what was exactly happening during this hoax. The individual cars could pull up specific video and watch in real time or recorded video what was happening. I was with one of the companies bidding. We didn't get the job because it was cutting edge technology at the time and we were not well versed on the subject.

We had a subcontractor that was going to supply the parts and smarts and us the labor. It was involving a MESH radio network where every camera location was also a repeater. That was in addition to all the rooftop transmitters and repeaters we were planning. I wonder what became of the concept.

Did they ever get the technology to work? We did a smaller project at Rose State but couldn't get the MESH to work 100%. Mostly due to the backbone infrastructure they had.

Who did you work for and who were ya'll using as the sub? OCPD finished their in-car video with Axon last fall, and the video can be viewed live, but that's limited to command. Their tac team used a mesh type camera system similar to what you described around that time frame, again, with some success, but not 100%.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While OU has property all over the state, Norman Campus is roughly half a mile wide (east to west) by 2 miles long (north to south).
You’re talking about what we colloquially refer to as ”Main Campus” (Boyd to Lindsey and Elm to Jenkins), but the Norman campus is a lot bigger than that. It includes properties north of Boyd, but it is generally bounded by Boyd on the north and highway 9 on the south, and, more or less, Chautauqua on the west and the railroad tracks on the east. (And that’s not counting North Base.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom