Poll on shotgun vs. handgun for home defense ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I retract the oven spray. I think I'll now go with carb cleaner with the straw attached so it has more range, and is much easier to "shoot from the hip". If I had any, I'd keep it in the fridge so the cold stream would cause them to inhale rapidly there by ingesting more the the burny chemical goodness! I could also use it to remove pesky price stickers.... If I had any.
Chlorinated or non chlorinated?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see the old lore of "you just point a shotgun" is still thought of as good defensive technique. Most shotgun arbitrations occur at distances where the average shot pattern is 4" or less. I have seen some incredibly good missing at room distances from steely eyed shotgun pointers.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's difficult to get over old habits or muscle-memory.
- Neither the Mossberg 'Shockwave' nor the Remington 'Tac-14' were designed to be fired from the shoulder like a typical shotgun. They are intended to be 'hip-fired' which is why they have a hand safety-strap on the front-end to help manage recoil, do not come with a rear sight, and are classed a 'Firearm' rather than a 'shotgun' which, by ATF definition, is designed to be shoulder-fired.
- In fact the ONLY thing that keeps these firearms from being classed as a SBS is because the overall length of 26.5" which is a factory specification (as opposed to self-modification - i.e. sawed-off) exceeds the maximum overall-length for an SBS (=< 26") as defined by the ATF (as well as many states).
- One major problem with this being a 'hip-fired' weapon was the difficulty in accurate targeting, so Mossberg addressed this with a model that now includes an integrated CrimsonTrace receiver mounted laser for better target acquisition.

So, you would pick something you have to strap on (shockwave) over a shotgun or hand gun?

A guy rocking a strap on would be terrifying.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, rear sights are for aiming while shotguns are for pointing.
20230705_194426.jpg

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that strap is NOT to help with recoil, but to keep your hand from slipping off the front of the pump and blowing of a finger or three! Remember it is a faux pas to start a gun fight by shooting yourself. That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it works out for them!
Oh and chlorinated for the extra burn!!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m no Olympic shooter nor have I spent any time getting familiar with tacticool shotguns (though i have fired an M4 on a couple occasions). That said I have shot a crap-load of dove, quail, chucker, station 1 hard rights and station 8 high houses. In none of those situations would a rear sight have served any purpose. If it did every competitive shooter on the planet would have one. I have to think a softball (at best) sized bird flying 50mph is WAAAAAAAYYYYYY harder to hit than a 200 pound bad guy moving 6mph. Use some common sense. For hundreds of years people haven’t had an issue hitting what they “pointed” at without a rear sight and for some reason now all of a sudden a shotgun is worthless without one. Gemme a break. 😂😂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom