Poll on shotgun vs. handgun for home defense ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you serious? The Mossberg Shockwave isn’t an AOW because that would also make them an NFA regulated firearms requiring a tax stamp. You’re other comments are equally ignorant.
My mistake. The Mossberg 'Shockwave' is a "FIREARM" rather than classified as a 'shotgun'. I don't know why I was thinking AOW, but whatever, I went back and changed my wording to reflect 'firearm' instead of 'All Other Weapon' :blush:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mistake. The Mossberg 'Shockwave' is a "FIREARM" rather than classified as a 'shotgun'. I don't know why I was thinking AOW, but whatever, I went back and changed my wording to reflect 'firearm' instead of 'All Other Weapon' :blush:

Shockwave Technologies the company that developed the Raptor grip designed it for the Mossberg 500 PGO (Pistol Grip Only) firearm which never had a stock installed. The Raptor grip design allowed the use of a 14” barrel on the PGO without violating the NFA regulations on making a short barreled shotgun without paying for a tax stamp. Only later did Mossberg offer the Shockwave as a factory produced firearm. In essence it is a big middle finger at the NFA regulations on SBS and AOWs.

The only thing these guns are not designed for is firing from the shoulder, but that does not meant that you can’t align the firearm with your eyes and the target. The strap could be an aid to controlling the gun, but also prevents the user’s hand from slipping off the forend and in front of the barrel.

There was a time when doctrine demonstrated pistols being fired from the hip, but we don’t do that anymore because sighted fire is more effective. There’s no reason not to do the same with firearms with Raptor grips installed.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This with the Federal #4 (1 3/4" shells) gives 5+1 and is what I have accessible at the house. If it goes outside I grab the Silenced SBR AR-15.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 6.56.52 PM.png

Larry In OKC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I have both. A 870 alley sweeper by the bed, and a XDM 45 compact on the night stand, but first they have to get past the teeth. 130 pounds of them. He doesn't like anybody, hell, I don't think he even likes himself!

Attachments

• 16804242_10209002482402375_1058915564260364738_o.jpg
    16804242_10209002482402375_1058915564260364738_o.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

OkieDoke88

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little of both. If I have time, I’m grabbing my shotgun and posting up. If I don’t have time or I have to intervene before they get to someone, I’m grabbing my pistol(I keep loaded with a 23 round mag of Speer gold dot).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's difficult to get over old habits or muscle-memory.
- Neither the Mossberg 'Shockwave' nor the Remington 'Tac-14' were designed to be fired from the shoulder like a typical shotgun. They are intended to be 'hip-fired' which is why they have a hand safety-strap on the front-end to help manage recoil, do not come with a rear sight, and are classed a 'Firearm' rather than a 'shotgun' which, by ATF definition, is designed to be shoulder-fired.
- In fact the ONLY thing that keeps these firearms from being classed as a SBS is because the overall length of 26.5" which is a factory specification (as opposed to self-modification - i.e. sawed-off) exceeds the maximum overall-length for an SBS (=< 26") as defined by the ATF (as well as many states).
- One major problem with this being a 'hip-fired' weapon was the difficulty in accurate targeting, so Mossberg addressed this with a model that now includes an integrated CrimsonTrace receiver mounted laser for better target acquisition.

With the exception of slug barrels, tactical knockoff guns that look like cheap Al’s or ARs, , or guns with ghost rings, I can’t say that I have seen a rear sight on a shotgun, just saying. Have I been shooting ducks and quail wrong this entire time? None of those shotguns have rear sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom