Questions about buying half a cow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ewww. Thats gross.

img.pandawhale.com_68919_cow_split_in_half_gif_qxaA.gif

That's a Holstein for ya..........

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I brother splits one with one of my friends every year. This past year the price went up a lot. They also do a hog as well. From what I gathered the last few years, it is cheaper buying it a few times a year when Sprouts or Reasors has a good sale on the ground round and sirloin.

Pro... The beef does taste pretty good and you can get the cuts you want.

Cons... Takes up dang near a whole freezer at once. High initial cost that ends up being pretty close to or a little higher than store bought meat. They also pay for it in advance so you will be out some money before your cow makes it to the processor.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We raise our own hogs and cattle. The cost needs to be watched but the quality is well worth the effort. The thing we like the most is getting the cuts we want how we want them.

Buying a side of beef would be fine if you know the seller and are happy with final cost. It has been pointed out, they take up some freezer space. Dont get caught with no place to store the meet. :)

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget about a backup source of power to keep it frozen during a long power outage. If not that, then a good source of dry ice. It would really be bad to lose well over $1000 of meat.

We buy chicken breast in bulk and just bought a whole beefalow. We have over 2 freezers worth. I think it is worth it. I think we save a little money which probably pays for the freezers and electric bill eventually. We also eat a lot better with less fat.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes it's better and cheaper.
Retail can have water weight yours shouldn't
Your meat is likely local so more likely to have safer vaccination protocols.
Your meat is one animal source instead of hundreds
Consistent quality
A side now should be about 1300-1500
I have seen them from birth to plate. I may keep some this season to finish for processing. Depends on market for calves next month for me

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We get a 1/8 of a cow each year. Me and a buddy go in on a 1/2, then I split my 1/4 with my parents so that leaves me an 1/8. That will last us all year. The meat tastes so much better. Not sure if we save any money or not but its worth it. An 1/8 cost us $340 this year, including processing.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We never fed out a calf with thoughts of saving money. We came out with about the same amount of money invested as if we had bought it retail. Sometimes, even, a little more. It was worth it. The quality of the beef is so much better IF you know what you're doing. It takes some knowledge to create the right rations. You know exactly what went in to your beef, and what didn't. Store-bought beef really can't compare. Man, I would love to be able to feed out another one! Alas ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom