robar-g19 ... get in here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haven't taken Lutton's class. I wasn't trying to directly compare. Was the picture shown previously from Lutton's??

no, they were just pictures I pulled when I googled thumbs forward grip. They just show a good example of a proper grip and how canted your support hand should be before wrapping around the front strap.
There are multiple pictures on the TDSA website of students during their classes showing their before and after grips if you want to see some directly from his class.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, go with what works for you. Seeklander feels like many people take that principle to an extreme and their grip actually suffers from it. I was one of them. My weak hand was too far forward. That picture shows exactly what Mike is talking about.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, go with what works for you. Seeklander feels like many people take that principle to an extreme and their grip actually suffers from it. I was one of them. My weak hand was too far forward. That picture shows exactly what Mike is talking about.

Do you have a pic of the problem? Is the issue readily recognized? What is offered as an alternative?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The grip shown is nothing like what Mike Seeklander teaches. The weak hand is way too far forward.

I guess I'm not following you. I've shot multiple times with Seeklander and I'm pretty sure he practices essentially the same thing that Marshall teaches. In these photos it seems to show this shooter's weak hand wrist pivoted forward with the wrist joint locked just like Marshall teaches, it does look kind of funky though but maybe it's just this guy's physique and how he has to grip. In this video Seeklander kind of eludes to locking the strong arm wrist over but he actually says both. BB this is a great video you might want to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the problem? Is the issue readily recognized? What is offered as an alternative?

Seeklander didn't explicitly talk about it in the video below, but he did mention that you want leverage behind the gun with both hands and not friction against the grip panels. If you let the weak hand get to far forward, then it is only pressing against the side panel. What Mike didn't explain in this video, but goes to great lengths to explain in his class, is more about the leverage of the weak hand. He shows you how to effectively and consistently get that proper grip. It starts with the driving the strong hand up the grip to get high under the beaver tail, then as you draw you actually flag the strong hand thumb high, this exposes the back edge of the grip for the weak hand to get behind the gun as well, and not just on the side of the grip panel. You index this by the pressure point on your weak hand index finger where it touches the bottom of the trigger guard. This allows you to consistently get that hand where you want it. You "judy chop" from under the gun with the weak hand, feeling for that index point on the index finger. This drives the gun up to your target, as well as let's you build the grip properly without being too far forward (or back) with the weak hand. You need some of the meat of your palm against the back of the grip to get leverage. It's called your thenar eminence. Mike demonstrates this in class very well including shooting the gun with the weak hand only in both positions. With a part of the thenar eminence slightly behind the grip and then again with it too far forward to where it's relying on friction only. The difference in control is dramatic. I can't say for sure he teaches it different than Marshall, but a lot of the pictures and videos I've seen have the weak hand too far forward compared to what Mike teaches.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Dug out Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition this morning and worked out some drills. Need to get a space cleaned out in the garage to set up some targets ... probably set some up in the back yard too. Just because I can with the weather being nice right now.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good stuff! No problem hitting where I'm aiming when I take my time, but my recoil control sucks. Now I have some guidance on how to fix it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom