robar-g19 ... get in here!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should play with limited minor. You can load up your mags to full capacity, but the real challenge is that you have to shoot pretty much all A's to be competitive, it puts a real emphasis on accuracy while being fast.

LOL ... one step at a time, my friend ... although I can tell you that if I can pull this off (physically, I mean ... my neck is gonna be the weak link in all this) I would like to be at least a B shooter or better in every class ... just so I can say I did it ... I was headed that way when I hurt my neck -- and having a GREAT time doing it. There was a year or so there that GC and I made a match somewhere every weekend. And shot at the range at least 5-6 times a week. It's just what we did as a couple. That was our "our time" ... We both miss that.

This makes me think fondly of that damned LoneWolf'49 ... going to the range and not having him there to give me all kinds of grief is gonna be strange ... and sad ... :(

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is true. I didn't take his post to mean that is what Mike teaches at all. I have smaller hands that all you mutants so my grip is different than anything taught to you guys anyway ... I mean I can't hit the mag release on my glock without shifting my grip. Yeah, it slows me down but it's just a fact of life. I can not physically do it ... I mean unless I have surgery to lengthen the thumb on my right hand ... lol

Unlike some guys, I have learned to listen to what EVERYBODY has to say and take away what I can use and dump the rest. I don't follow any one single "famous" shooting instructor to the extent that I don't listen to what the others have to say ... Not a purist at all, I guess ...

I do thank everyone who has posted in this thread ... and hope that the discussion continues about grip and other competitive shooting techniques for quite a while. I've been out long enough that I consider myself a rank amateur again ... well, except for that part that says "the gun is ALWAYS pointed downrange" ... :)

I definitely agree with getting multiple opinions and using what works for you. That being said, I had shot a lot, had worked on my grip and thought I was controlling my weapon pretty well. Once I took Mike's class, he completely changed my grip and how I built my grip from the get-go to ensure consistency. After that, the control on the weapon was night and day to what I had before. And I don't have any physical limitations. I'm 6' 4", 240 and not super fat. Ha! I can only imagine how his techniques, properly done, would help with someone with limited upper body strength or other limitations.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely agree with getting multiple opinions and using what works for you. That being said, I had shot a lot, had worked on my grip and thought I was controlling my weapon pretty well. Once I took Mike's class, he completely changed my grip and how I built my grip from the get-go to ensure consistency. After that, the control on the weapon was night and day to what I had before. And I don't have any physical limitations. I'm 6' 4", 240 and not super fat. Ha! I can only imagine how his techniques, properly done, would help with someone with limited upper body strength or other limitations.

Well, we are gonna find out ... I'll keep you posted ... lol I'm working on not being the "super fat" thing as we speak. I don't know what has gotten into me ... maybe I'm just tired of being sick and tired all the time ... but I GOTTA do something ... I like "old lady" stuff like quilting and baking ... :P but nothing I've tried has been as much fun for me as shooting ... so ... I may never make it out of "unclassified" ... and I may not be able to shoot more than once or twice a month ... but it will be worth it ... I enjoyed it THAT much ...

Besides, the guys I shot with were, to the man, GREAT fellas ... I have no doubt that even though there are a bunch of guys shooting now I only know by their internet posts, they are STILL a bunch of great guys ... Lots more women shooting now, too. I like that also. Back when I was shooting regularly there was only one other woman who showed up at matches on a regular basis ... Tammy something or nother ... she posted here pretty regularly ... was a first responder up around Tulsa ... I think her and Eric had a "thing" for a while but I could be wrong so don't quote me ...

I always enjoyed her company at the matches ... she was a RIOT!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doc, have you tried any fast shooting drills with that P7? The low bore axis makes it quite easy to control, and I've always loved the fact that there are no sharp-edged controls on the frame to dig into the hand. And then there's that marvelous trigger....Anyway, have you had a chance to try that little gem out?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What's the difference between what is taught at Lutton's class and Mike's?

Latest posts

Top Bottom