School Budget Cuts..help me out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All, I keep seeing in the local news reports how Oklahoma schools are facing budget cuts.

I know Oklahoma isn't as wealthy as some other states. This in turn leads to a lower tax base...in the long run lower portions of money to schools.

Simple minded me (am I the only one who's thought of this) has a starting solution to help out with budgets.

Some people arent going to like this, some will flame and grill me and some will ask me..what if that was your occupation. Anyways, here it is.

There are 77 Counties in Oklahoma. How many school superintendents are there in each county and what is their pay.

I'll use my old home county as an example.

Example: Lincoln County; let's count the schools with a possible superintendent.
1.Chandler
2. Agra
3.Carney
4. Wellston
5. Meeker
6.Prague
7.Stroud
8.Davenport

So we have a possible 8...yes..8 superintendents positions in just Lincoln County.

Let's leave Oklahoma and Tulsa out for a second. So 77-2=75

75 counties with...let's use Lincoln County's number..8

So 75x8=600. Now I know 600 is a guess, not an inference. So lets just lower by 200.

600-200=400 superintendents. Not counting Oklahoma and Tulsa County

400 superintendents. ...you know they make more than teachers and the principals.

Why not cut the superintendents, and either hire ONE....ONE...yes 1, per county.

The principals could report to the one..or the one superintendent could travel to the schools for reports.

Or do away with the superintendents altogether and bump up the pay ..jsut a little..for the principals...you know the principals..the ones who really know about the schools finances.

Just a thought.

By the way, why do we have so many superintendents? Are they really a necessity..-vs- a principal?

Or just one per county?

Thanks!!

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it isn't a bad idea, the superintendent does quite a bit and it is very localized. I am not sure if it could be handled very well by just one for the county. The super doesn't make all of the decisions either, it actually all up to the school board in each town to vote.

Essentially, it would be like saying that instead of local mayors, we will have county mayors. You can see how quickly one town could pull favor over another.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Up until the 1990's Oklahoma had county superintendents. They served as the central administration for dependent schools in the counties and had various other duties, including coordinating co-op programs, film libraries, etc. Some school districts have shared superintendents, but usually it was a precursor to the consolidation of the districts. Your idea certainly has merit, especially in sparsely populated counties that have just a few school districts. It's a hard sell in the rural communities because it is seen as a step to consolidation or elimination of their school which means loss of community identity or the end of the community. And it will be tough to get rural superintendents to lobby for a move that will eliminate their jobs. Legislators from rural areas know it is the death penalty for them if they promote more school consolidation.

Cedar Creek

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cedar Creek..that's exactly what I thought about one county superintendent.

I thought Lincoln County had one..at one time. Maybe that time was simpler and more gentle.

If schools really, I mean really, want to cut budgets...just look at what is a necessity for LEARNING and what is optional (and costly).

It looks to me that school districts make optional cuts to A.) Look like they're cutting the budget. B.) Pick the easiest target to eliminate and C.) Make cuts, but not effective ones.

Same song different verse and a different year.

From the outside looking in..the superintendents job look like a position to strive for...teacher, principal, superintendent. Not a necessary position or OMG THE SCHOOL WILL RUN A-MUCK!!!

What do the poor school districts do when they're looking for one to replace the old one? They still run and educate kids...hmmm??!!

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Kansas you actually pay a tuition, it's not a ton of money but it certainly helps if every family pays $100 per kid if you have multiples it's $85 etc etc. This also gives parents a reason to care about their kids education, if they're putting up money they have a vested interest in making sure they attend as well as succeed and pass their classes. If you have extra money in the coffers you can afford to pay your teachers better thereby creating a more competitive job market where you can get quality educators. Just my 2 cents but a free education is like free daycare to some people.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed Hawkfan!!

I've always wondered about the validity of those "help my kid get better grades" or "help my kid act better" programs they sell on tv.

I've always thought that if the parent spent money...their money..."By God"!! ...the parent(subliminal) spend more time with their child and tutor them.....in turn help.."tutor" them because they spent their hard earned money.

I had a buddy back in Galveston who retired form teaching (God Bless him!!!). He had a bad a** student in his class and the student would act up in other classes. Well after several meetings with the parent, principal and teachers...... recommendations about alternative school were discussed.

No..not my child in alternative school!!!

The parent came to the conclusion that EVERY teacher at that school had it out for her sweet and darling little daughter. She didn't act out at home..so it must be the teachers.

The parent told the trachers and principal..she was going to home school her daughter and give her the proper education she deserved...with no harassment. I'll show those mean old teachers.

This was in a Monday, the student went home for home based education. Win-win situation, eveyone was happy!!

4..just 4 days it all it took. Friday the student was back at school (the mean school, with mean teachers).

When the student was asked what happened to home base school..she replied...

"My mother has had enough of me"!!! "You all can have me and if she gets one more phone call, she's going to rip my a** off".

The student became a model student the rest of the year.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up until the 1990's Oklahoma had county superintendents. They served as the central administration for dependent schools in the counties and had various other duties, including coordinating co-op programs, film libraries, etc. Some school districts have shared superintendents, but usually it was a precursor to the consolidation of the districts. Your idea certainly has merit, especially in sparsely populated counties that have just a few school districts. It's a hard sell in the rural communities because it is seen as a step to consolidation or elimination of their school which means loss of community identity or the end of the community. And it will be tough to get rural superintendents to lobby for a move that will eliminate their jobs. Legislators from rural areas know it is the death penalty for them if they promote more school consolidation.

Cedar Creek

Well said

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised what some supts make. Some too low but some definitely too high also. Perks can be a surprise too. Guesses anyone????

Latest posts

Top Bottom