State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reducing the number of school districts will increase the number of students per teacher. That will not benefit the students in any way.

Teachers should be paid professional wages, $20-$30 per classroom hour meaning the annual pay should range from $31k-$47k. If you were to base their pay on a 52 week year rather than the 36 week year that they work the pay range would be $41k-$63k. Which is in line with other professionals with 4 year degrees.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cutting the number of superintendents to 77 or less (one per county or less), coupled with the reduction of their staffs and office facilities, would increase the amount of money available for new teacher hires and raises. Those superfluous superintendents we now have can be hired back on as teachers - which just might be enough to alleviate our teacher shortage.

No, there can be no more money thrown at our mismanaged and bloated school system as long as school administration is so blatantly top heavy. The remnants of the past Democrat control must be completely purged from our legislative processes before the real problems in our educational system can be identified - if any - and properly addressed.

Woody

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Reducing the number of school districts will increase the number of students per teacher.

Absolutely 100% false.

You are confusing school consolidation with district consolidation, not even remotely the same.

Larger student to teacher ratios are more likely than not caused by the large number of districts and accompanying administrative bloat in the state.

More resources going to top heavy administration means less resources to the classroom.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who gets into teaching, gets their first check, and says "Good grief! I had no idea this is the amount of money I would make!"

I got into my profession knowing full well what the salary range was.

Half of every tax dollar the State gets goes to Ed already.

I've hired High School kids. I've hired College students. I supervise recently graduated college students (who are paid dang good money).

I'm not pleased with the product that half of the State budget produces.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not support this tax increase because it primarily feeds the bureaucracy that has overseen the decline of the educational system.

The ongoing disappearance of competent science and math teachers is a slow motion train wreck for the state. What technology business in their right mind would located in a state where their professional's children can not be adequately educated?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously, you folks outside of the Tulsa area don't understand how large school districts work. We might have one superintendent over the district, but the support staff and school admin numbers are huge. We have high schools with 8-10 vice principals because the principal is actually a vice superintendent. The positions are filled from the teaching staff and not replaced.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reducing the number of school districts will increase the number of students per teacher. That will not benefit the students in any way.

Teachers should be paid professional wages, $20-$30 per classroom hour meaning the annual pay should range from $31k-$47k. If you were to base their pay on a 52 week year rather than the 36 week year that they work the pay range would be $41k-$63k. Which is in line with other professionals with 4 year degrees.

NOT true. Kansas has county school districts. The concept is to reduce operating costs a mid and upper level admin. Classroom size would not be a part of that concept. Oklahoma has more districts per capita than any state in the union.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And before we blame the abilities of the teachers, we need to look at the students they are working with. Do these kids have parents that are committed to their child's success? Can the parents assist with the education of the child? Can the parents afford tutoring? Are the parents competent enough at parenting to put education before extra curricular activities?

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, you folks outside of the Tulsa area don't understand how large school districts work. We might have one superintendent over the district, but the support staff and school admin numbers are huge. We have high schools with 8-10 vice principals because the principal is actually a vice superintendent. The positions are filled from the teaching staff and not replaced.

Shootin I know quite well how large, and small districts work from an administrative viewpoint. I worked at both levels as an administrator and will tell you a great deal of money could be saved by reducing the number of districts. I have never known of a principal being a vice supt. lol Tell me how that works and where that is in fact in place right now. I want to visit that school. I may just know an administrator in that district. Please tell me.

Consolidation is a huge step in upgrading education in this very poor state where every dollar counts. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom