Supreme Court looks to medieval England in gun rights case

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the things he agreed with is that cities and states have the right to restrict where we can carry a gun. Amy Coney Barrett made a comment about Times Square on New Years Eve being made into a sensitive area. I was really happy with Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Of course Thomas and Alito. Even Roberts made some good comments in our favor. Kavanaugh even made a comment that sound an awful lot like he supports being able to carry without having to have a license.

I read an article just a little bit ago and it made a very good point. If these laws get struck down all the states like New York will have to do is make just about everywhere a “sensitive area” which would make carrying there off limits. Sadly, even some of the more conservative justices seemed to agree with there being “sensitive places” that are off limits to carrying. I am just tired of these justices not doing what the text says. It isn’t hard. And they know it. They are just refusing to do it.
With rights come responsibilities. Where rights are restricted, responsibilities are transferred to the restricting authority. But SCOTUS has always said these "authorities" aren't responsible for the safety of individual citizens, regardless of the venue or restrictions in place.

This is the core component for every friction we have with every asserting authority regarding the 2nd Amendment. They want to restrict the rights, but they refuse to assume the responsibility. Simply put, in every place they restrict our 2nd Amendment rights, then they MUST assume responsibility for our safety. If they fail, then they must NOT be indemnified from liability. I can't carry "here"? Fine, then you're responsible for my personal security and if you fail, then you're civilly liable for what happens to me that could've possibly been prevented by me, had my rights not been restricted.

If you put these requirements in place, the number of "sensitive places" will mostly shrink to jails, courts, and of course the offices of senior public officials.

As for considering foreign documents, about the only thing I know I'm good with them using to base our lows on, is the Magna Carta.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever happened to this? Did the Supreme Court drop it? Was there any ruling?

The way SCOTUS works is that they hear oral arguments on cases in the Fall (and maybe into the winter - can't remember their exact scheduling) and then rule on those cases by sometime in June. The linked story in the original post was dated early this month, so it will be some time before a ruling.

OK - Just found this:

"By law, the U.S. Supreme Court's term begins on the first Monday in October and goes through the Sunday before the first Monday in October of the following year. The Court is, typically, in recess from late June/early July until the first Monday in October."

More About the Supreme Court

Latest posts

Top Bottom