Sure, we live in a "post-racial" America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So which is better Hipster or Hippie?

Hippie.

Does either group have a tendency toward violence?

No more than the American aggregate.

What are the literacy rates for each group?

Around 91% for both.

Do neighborhoods populated with either group have a rise or decline in home values?

Rise with hipsters (gentrification). Decline with hippies (geodesic domes, greenhouses, lack of maintenance, non-running VWs and Volvos, sad looking dogs, a really fat cat named Eleanor Rigby).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?189917-Oklahoma-ban-on-gay-marriage-ruled-unconstitutional&highlight=mudshark

Nope, no racism on OSA. No Klan members. Nobody defending them.

Clearly I'm just overly PC.

I found this thread by searching the term "mudshark" by the way.

Go back and read it. My discussion with 0311, the poster who used a racial slur and admitted his own racism, ended on better terms than my discussions with his apologists, e.g. rebel-son and TedKennedy. I respect honesty and I respect him shouldering the negative backlash than comes with his beliefs. He also kept his promise to not bring this stuff up again, while his "non-racist" sack riders keep blabbing daily. The sack riders and apologists that litter this board are much worse. They also litter the GOP. You wanted me to start calling them out. I've called out several in this thread. I'll keep it up since I've been tasked with it.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think we are tracking EZ.
Im talking about perception vs. reality.

Replace "meaning" and "rendered" with "perception" and "perceived" in the quote from me and see if that helps explain what I am talking about.

Here, allow me.
the perception of racism has become so diluted and perverted as to be perceived useless".

I admit my head is not 100% in this conversation right now, so interpret accordingly.

Yes, and I'm saying that if you want to convince yourself of that perception, then by all means - do it, but you're using all sorts of logical fallacy to convince yourself of that. That doesn't hold true for those of us who don't sit around reading left-wing articles and getting rage-boners because of it. If Al Sharpton has all but ruined the civil-rights movement for you, then he's done literally no damage to it at all for me because I don't watch him and Rachael Maddow all day and ***** about it. I ignore them both and look for less poop-flinging news sources.

I know what the word racism means regardless of how it's been twisted on either side. So does most of society (especially those who experience the negative impacts of racism in person on a regular basis).

An assault rifle is still an assault rifle regardless of what the mainstream media calls an "assault weapon". The real meaning doesn't change simply because there are ignorant people trying to cloud facts with BS. You can

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rise with hipsters (gentrification). Decline with hippies (geodesic domes, greenhouses, lack of maintenance, non-running VWs and Volvos, sad looking dogs, a really fat cat named Eleanor Rigby).

All this time I thought the cat's name was Eleanor Rigsby.

Learn something new everyday. And as a reformed hippie (Yes tie-dies, Birkenstocks, hemp jewelry, hair to my butt and followed the Dead for a bit) most of them are trying to escape something else.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So which is better Hipster or Hippie?
Does either group have a tendency toward violence?
What are the literacy rates for each group?
Do neighborhoods populated with either group have a rise or decline in home values?
As one more familiar with Hippies, I must admit a certain amount of bigotry against them. It is strictly based on personal experience, however, not just stereotypes.

Hipsters are more likely to lean Libertarian and even be pro gun. Hipsters typically focus on a DIY, Keep it Local attitude about life and business. Hipsters tend to be college educated but the same is true with Hippies.

In terms of neighborhood values, typically most of the resurgence and revitalization of urban areas are the result of Hipsters. Why? because hipsters will actually do something about things that they see as broken or wrong. They make it a point to support local artists, crafts and business. The revitalization of downtown OKC, NW 23rd St, Midtown and Plaza district in OKC are all examples of that. The same is true in most all cities.

As annoying as some of these hipsters are, atleast they are changing things, unlike most Americans who complain about X group or Y politician and yet do nothing and will go back to drinking their beer and watching the game. If things are bad enough, they blame the "city" or "politicians" and then move out to the Suburbs like Edmond or Yukon only for the same thing to happen again in about 20 years. Rinse and repeat.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is a difference between hipsters and hippies.

Hipsters wear "ironic" shirts, whereas it's ironic if a Hippie is wearing a shirt.

Hipsters listen to music you've never heard of, whereas Hippies listen to music everyone else outgrew.

Hipsters use artisan soaps, whereas Hippies smell like old art.

Hipsters say "What's up man!", whereas Hippies say "What's up, maaaaaaaan?"

So I guess some of us are off shoots of both hippies and hipsters. Kinda hipp-a-billy. I use artisan goat soap but still smell like old art. I say what's up mayaan (just my Okie accent). I've been known to wear tie dyed tshirts with overalls and flip flops.

If ya ever wanna see, first hand, the melding of hipsters, hippies and Oklahoma hickleberrys, go people watch at Woodyfest in Okemah.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?189917-Oklahoma-ban-on-gay-marriage-ruled-unconstitutional&highlight=mudshark

Nope, no racism on OSA. No Klan members. Nobody defending them.

Clearly I'm just overly PC.

I found this thread by searching the term "mudshark" by the way.

Go back and read it. My discussion with 0311, the poster who used a racial slur and admitted his own racism, ended on better terms than my discussions with his apologists, e.g. rebel-son and TedKennedy. I respect honesty and I respect him shouldering the negative backlash than comes with his beliefs. He also kept his promise to not bring this stuff up again, while his "non-racist" sack riders keep blabbing daily. The sack riders and apologists that litter this board are much worse. They also litter the GOP. You wanted me to start calling them out. I've called out several in this thread. I'll keep it up since I've been tasked with it.

He made a negative statement in regards to a family situation. I think he realized he his mistake and has expressed regret. It was a learning opportunity, and because he has been true to his word and made NO negative comments since then, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and a little forgiveness.

As for the racists and homophobes here, when you guys see someone post that tripe, have at them. The only way we can adequately "police" such speech is to return to pretty strict rules on what can and cannot be discussed, and enforce those rules with bannings.

I don't want to go that direction, but I don't want a board filled with hateful rhetoric either.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He made a negative statement in regards to a family situation. I think he realized he his mistake and has expressed regret. It was a learning opportunity, and because he has been true to his word and made NO negative comments since then, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and a little forgiveness.

As for the racists and homophobes here, when you guys see someone post that tripe, have at them. The only way we can adequately "police" such speech is to return to pretty strict rules on what can and cannot be discussed, and enforce those rules with bannings.

I don't want to go that direction, but I don't want a board filled with hateful rhetoric either.

I don't have an issue with him. He's clearly a sharp guy that adds some good discussion to the board, and like I said, he kept his promise to not take conversations that direction. His apologists are who this thread is about. 0311 is not too ignorant to realize he's being racist. Some people here are. Some are proud of it "ah hell I ain't even know what that means and I can't be bothered to look it up, but I agree with it." My raisin' has made me intolerant of willful ignorance.

I like we can discuss this **** here now. I don't want stricter rules and more bannings.

I will continue to voice my opinions knowing that I have the support of most of the members I respect here, even members who disagree with me personally. Ask the OSA members who've hung out with me just how PC I am. I get painted as some paper-skinned puss y by this new crop of members simply because I call them out for being proud of ignorance.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with him. He's clearly a sharp guy that adds some good discussion to the board, and like I said, he kept his promise to not take conversations that direction. His apologists are who this thread is about. 0311 is not too ignorant to realize he's being racist. Some people here are. Some are proud of it "ah hell I ain't even know what that means and I can't be bothered to look it up, but I agree with it." My raisin' has made me intolerant of willful ignorance.

I like we can discuss this **** here now. I don't want stricter rules and more bannings.

I will continue to voice my opinions knowing that I have the support of most of the members I respect here, even members who disagree with me personally. Ask the OSA members who've hung out with me just how PC I am. I get painted as some paper-skinned puss y by this new crop of members simply because I call them out for being proud of ignorance.

May I enter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom