Tahoe or 4Runner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoe or 4RUNNER

• Tahoe

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • 4RUNNER

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Something Else.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These two cars are quite a bit different in seating room and cargo capacity. Go and physically set your butt in both of these and check out the cargo area in person.
Gas Mileage actually won’t be that much of a difference. Maybe 2-3mpg unless
You are a speed demon.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has a 2018 4 Runner and just loves the thing. We also own a FJ Cruiser, which is the same platform/drivetrain. It's an '08, has about 175k on the odometer and runs like new. I fully expect to get 300k out of both of them without any major trouble.

I can't compare it directly to a new Tahoe, but the 4 Runner definitely rides better than my Wrangler, gets about the same mpg (high teens) and is a lot quieter. However, I think the Tahoe will be more luxurious. A buddy of mine has an older GMC version of the Tahoe (maybe the extended wheelbase version) and it is NICE. Big, comfy leather seats, lots of room, smooooth ride. I expect he gets about 13mpg. It is rather enormous, like break a bottle of champagne over the bumper at launch enormous, but that's really only a problem when he parks it.

The 4 Runner has an available 3rd row seat, but it is TINY. So tiny, it's only useful for small children, leprechauns, and people you hate. It sticks up from the cargo floor, so you lose space even if it's folded down. Our kids are all adult or as tall as me, so we skipped it entirely.

You can fit 3 across the regular back seat, but it would be tight. The 4 Runner isn't nearly as wide as a Tahoe.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Tahoe 2WD, has 208,000 miles on it, runs great, gets 16-1/2 MPG, the ride is nice, and it will get up and go when called upon. Even the cruise control still works!
It's my sports car. The "family" car is a 1999 GMC Suburban.

I don't know much about the 4 Runner, but I can obviously speak for the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon line.

Woody

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can afford a 2016 Tahoe, I'd go that route. I've owned several TMC vehicles now. I currently have an 02' 4Runner and an 18' Colorado ZR2. I also have a 17' Tahoe at work. All three are 4X4. When I was looking for my new truck, I cross shopped the 4Runner to my Colorado (if they made the Colorado ZR2 as an SUV, I'd have gotten that).

I really liked the new 4Runner, except to get the same stuff on it would've cost me about $7K more than the ZR2. The 4Runner wasn't as smooth riding, wasn't as refined inside, the tech was older, got about the same observed MPG and wouldn't tow as well as the ZR2. I actually wanted the 4Runner more, but it just didn't make sense. Oh and one other thing, I got so much more off the MSRP on my ZR2 that even used with 7.5K on the odometer, I could sell it for the same as I paid for it right now. Not even the 4Runner could I do that with.

Funny thing is, the Tahoe at work gets about the same observed MPG as the ZR2 and 4Runner, despite being a larger class vehicle with much more room, better towing and a much smoother, quieter ride. The amenities are even better in the Tahoe than the ZR2. If it weren't for the fact that it was much more expensive than the ZR2 and the 4Runner, plus I just didn't need a truck that large, I'd have definitely went for the Tahoe.

Tl;dr: In my personal experience, I think the 'Hoe is a lot more vehicle than the 4Runner. Just get it at an awesome price and the overall depreciation difference will be negligible.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We recently bought a 18 expedition . Wife was dead set on a tahoe but the expedition is 100x better than a Tahoe in my opinion . We also looked at 4 runners when shopping and we we're not impressed at all.

Plus don't every one owns Tahoe's . The new expeditions are far less common

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We recently bought a 18 expedition . Wife was dead set on a tahoe but the expedition is 100x better than a Tahoe in my opinion . We also looked at 4 runners when shopping and we we're not impressed at all.

Plus don't every one owns Tahoe's . The new expeditions are far less common

I agree that I'd much rather have an 18' or newer Expedtion, but OP is looking at used 13'-16'. The Expeditions before 18' weren't nearly as good as the brand new ones.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What’s the gas mileage one that their monster ride

Our previous Expedition (2014 model not extended length) got about 16 mpg as an average. The newer 2017 with extended length is getting an average of about 19 mpg. It has the Eco-boost 6 cylinder engine, which actually has better "pickup" when passing than the 2014 with the V8 engine.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for the Expedition. I haven't been in a newer 4 Runner but just from several rental experiences I like the Expeditions better than the Tahoes, Jeeps, and Infinitis I have driven.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love trucks but having to carry equipment and having a small family I think that a larger SUV would probably make the most sense.

Are you on road most of the time? If so, are you married to a body-on-frame or would you consider a unibody SUV? Because the latter like a Grand Cherokee, Highlander, newer Pilot, or Explorer all drive and ride a lot more comfortably than the truck-based SUVs you are considering (though the Tahoe is admittedly pretty damn comfortable, and I'm not particularly a GM fan) plus typically get better fuel economy out of that car allowance for you.

I drive an AWD Cherokee and like it very well, though 1) it'd be too small for you and 2) I typically steer clear of Chrysler Fiat reliability so I'm a bit of a hypocrite here (but the deal on the one-owner trade-in was too good to pass up, and it's been problem-free for 18 months so far).

Latest posts

Top Bottom