The "Gimme Generation" - Warning! Rant ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kids aint alot different than in the past

50s hung out, drove dads car, listened to radio, a few went to Korea
60s hung out, grew long hair, listened to evil rock, smoked dope, played pinball, got drafted, protested
70s hung out, long hair, danced to disco, smoked dope, got drafted, endured a brutal recession
80s hung out, looked cool, killed disco, invented rap, smoked dope, played pong, atari, nintendo, sega and play station
90s hung out, shaved head, reinvented rock, chilled with ganster rap, smoked dope, played ps2
2000s hung out, wore baggys n hoodys, hip hop, smoked dope, ps3, wii, cell phone, facebook, xbox, 9-11, more than a few went over seas, enduring another recession.

Each generation was labled, each matured, each had hardships.

We just get older and rant about it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno... I don't recall hearing about the .gov entitlements, handouts and enabling in the 50s-70s. Even in the 80s I don't think it was that prevalent. Sure seems to have exploded in the last 2 decades though. What is it, something near (or over) 50% of households get some kind of .gov assistance now?

It's gotten so bad that being unable to read with otherwise average intelligence and no medical problems is sufficient to land one on disability these days. No joke.

<edit> Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the percentage of the population and the adjusted dollars spent on entitlements isn't any different than it was 60 years ago.

I don't think so, though. But... I could be wrong.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please don't loose faith in the whole generation.

Problem is, it's not the "younger generation". It's the last few, starting with the Baby Boomers who own a big portion of the responsibility for creating this mess. I know as many forty-somethings that are lazyassed dregs as I do twenty-somethings. The enlightened folks from the 60s era figured out everything the previous several generations did wrong, and fixed them.

It is true, however, that many of the "lazy" young people eventually get it figured out; my generation was full of slackers, but even with the boat anchors that still exist, many pull their weight. We just have more and more dead weight to support with each new wave that should be entering the workforce.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My rant is the extremely obese people in the grocery store check out line on the first of the month.
Two baskets of frozen pizza's, candy, cookies, etc that pay $20.
My half filled basket of vegetables, fruit and meat is around $100.
My tax money taking care of these pigs sux.
The entitlement society is really evident on the first of the month.

Totally agree!! I've made the mistake of going to Walmart on I-240 a couple of times on the First of the Month.. It's a freaking circus in there.

I see alot in my line of work. I see people on Welfare that truly need it, but the majority of them abuse it and teach their kids how to abuse it. Most people wouldn't imagine the way that people abuse the entitlement programs. I've heard some of the most off the wall things people do to milk the government for every penny imaginable. I was brought up to work for everything I had; I mowed yards until I was old enough to get a job. I've worked my butt off since the age of 12 and never went more than a week or two without a job. I think the government has made people lazy, and we're seeing alot of young people out there with no work ethic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom