The U.S. Will Never Change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious how people who choose not to vote on principle feel their 'protest' is distinguishable from those who don't vote out of laziness?

Being a conscientious objector to a war means that you don't fight in that war and that there is one less solder to fill a job. Being a CO by refusing to vote means that you are just part of the percentage of people who don't show up on election day who otherwise could have. There is no penalty for the system nor for those involved in the decision making process.

Also, i'm interested to know how doing away with the electoral college does anything for Oklahoma other than make it one less state for politicians to worry about. The EC makes small states and states with smaller urban populations matter more than they would vs a straight popular vote.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious how people who choose not to vote on principle feel their 'protest' is distinguishable from those who don't vote out of laziness?

In a general in Oklahoma? Your options are voting for a Democrat you don't like that can't win, vs. a Republican you don't like that can't lose. I think it's hard for a lot of people to see the point. Can you blame them?

I'm pretty willing to say Santorum already has the primary won in Oklahoma as well.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Don't vote - don't complain" = worn out rhetoric. When your choises are chosen for you....

Even more puzzling is voting for someone who wants to take us to war (that will take lives) while also voting for the same person because of his opposition to abortion (to save lives).

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vote for the candidate you feel is best. Not voting seems kind of like having a tantrum and taking
Your toys to go home. You don't help the situation but you get to make a statement of sorts. The only problem I have with that is silent statements don't carry a lot of weight in an argument. Everyone wants to vote for copy of themselves, but the best you get is someone with an acceptable number of similarities There will always be a segment of the populace who try to figure out who the winner will be so they can cast their vote for the winner. I have
Voted for 3 candidates I knew were going to lose, but their politics most closely mirrored my own. I will probably
Vote for a non winner this time also, but I will believe I voted for the candidate I thought woud be best for the old US of A.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vote for the candidate you feel is best. Not voting seems kind of like having a tantrum and taking
Your toys to go home. You don't help the situation but you get to make a statement of sorts. The only problem I have with that is silent statements don't carry a lot of weight in an argument. Everyone wants to vote for copy of themselves, but the best you get is someone with an acceptable number of similarities

So Mitt Romney may well win the GOP primary. There is evidence of foul play in Nevada, Maine, possibly Iowa, and likely others. I think he’s a shyster, a crook, and his campaign plays dirty pool. So in order to not be a kid who “takes his ball and goes home”, I’m supposed to vote for him because I’m supposed to vote for somebody – anybody – and I can’t stand Obama?

I’m not convinced I’ll vote (and I’ve never missed an election since 1986), but I am convinced that Americans live in a fantasy world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom