1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

To pee or not to pee?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Fid, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    As promised, this is the young buck in the back yard this morning.

[Broken External Image]

2. bowhunter34

bowhunter34 Sharpshooter

To be honest with you I really dont think it matters where you pee.. I've been hunting with my G Pa several times and he just goes whenever he wants lol. He even smoked cigs non stop, he told me the deer are attracted to it.

3. Reloader27

Reloader27 Marksman

The Gatorade bottle makes a great hand warmer!

4. Mark Munkres

Mark Munkres Marksman

I carry a bottle with me. It's not that much trouble. I can't see taking all the precautions I take and then piss on the ground, especially from the stand. I can smell the difference between human and deer pee, so you're telling me that deer cant'? To each his own, but I'm never going to piss around a deer stand.

5. Jefpainthorse

Jefpainthorse Sharpshooter

About the best thing I ever learned about deer is they are adaptable.

Run the ATV all summer... pee along the fences, cut wood, plink with your guns ...it really does not matter. Once deer are conditioned to human activity they wont care as long as browse is in that area.

One of the most productive places I ever hunted in Michigan was a stand of wood... about 15 acres wedged between my neighbor's row crops and hay meadow and my hay meadow. Dan would spend time back there cutting firewood and a few market logs he'd cut every year as a cash crop. Those Deer just did not care...they had seen and smelled it all.

When I hunted a few more "remote" places.... I always made a point of scouting around those areas in an effort aclimate deer to people.

Keep your hunting gear in your horse barn... and rub up on your horses before you head out. (if you have a horse around) Equines don't fear equines... and are sometimes attracted to other Equines ... best free "scent blocker" there is...

6. Mark Munkres

Mark Munkres Marksman

The deer on my property aren't like that. The more I am there, the more they are not.

By the way, deer are not equine. Not closely related to horses at all. More closely related to goats or even cattle. They are a ruminant.

7. Jefpainthorse

Jefpainthorse Sharpshooter

My ag teacher is rolling in his grave over that... I slept through most of that semester...:blush:

Correct and my mistake goes noted. Deer (split hooves and cud chewers) (at least the ones Ive seen) seem pretty unconcerned about horse... I have ridden dang near over the top of deer hiding in tall grass often enough to think this is truth.

8. Hoosierhunter

Hoosierhunter Marksman

Deer don't seem bothered by smell up here. Many times deer have passed though after relieving the urge.

9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm not on a horse, but have noted that deer don't seem too concerned when driving by on a tractor, or atv, but stop the progress, they will instantly come on alert, and bust out of there pretty quickly afterward.

10. Mark Munkres

Mark Munkres Marksman

My opinion is that it is impossible to really tell for sure, so why take the chance? The buck you are hoping to kill is probably an older buck, thus smarter or more experienced. These deer are more likely to be around your stand at night than in the day time. Why leave any unnecessary scent around the stand that can possibly tip off a deer when he can investigate all around your stand under the safety of darkness?