Tornado Shelters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before. I'm not really worried, in almost four years I haven't had damaging hail or a power outage that lasted long enough for me to even think about starting the generator. But this storm shelter seems interesting and practical when I'm not inside it. Cost about $6K. Would it be a selling point down the road?

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no desire for one. I'd like to know how it stands up when the car gets launched into it. Underground for me, we have a flat safe. I use it for oil changes, working on cars :D

Spyforhire

Marksman
Reaction score
I too would like to see this thing take on having a house crushed on it. You might be alive, but you might also suffocate. I built an above-ground 10' x 10' rebarred concrete storm shelter in the center of our house with multiple airway vents in case you get stuck in it, and can't get out.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too would like to see this thing take on having a house crushed on it. You might be alive, but you might also suffocate. I built an above-ground 10' x 10' rebarred concrete storm shelter in the center of our house with multiple airway vents in case you get stuck in it, and can't get out.
I want a larger version of this, plus a massive steel vault door. Can use it as a gun room too :D

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 750 sqft finished walkout basement that serves as our frady-hole. It’s cut back maybe 30’-35’ into the side of a hill which is as good as I’m going to do.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no desire for one. I'd like to know how it stands up when the car gets launched into it. Underground for me, we have a flat safe. I use it for oil changes, working on cars :D

I know we've beaten this dead horse before, but...

According to FEMA, no one has ever been killed in an approved shelter, above or below ground. A tested and approved shelter from a reputable manufacturer which is installed correctly will protect you in a storm, whether above or below ground.

I'll take above ground any day, for lots of reasons.

As to whether or not it would be a selling point in the future? In my opinion, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Spyforhire

Marksman
Reaction score
I want a larger version of this, plus a massive steel vault door. Can use it as a gun room too :D
I actually drew the original blueprint as a gun room, but I ended up expanding the plan to have 2 utility rooms. When we moved in, the second utility room came in pretty useful for other stuff, so I went back to using a wall of the safe room for firearms and work equipment and the garage for reloading. If you haven't looked at OmniWall, they make some great organizing equipment for any shaped area. They make great tool, workshop, and firearm storage solutions.

OmniWall Accessories - Firearm Storage - Page 1 - OmniWall USA

Latest posts

Top Bottom