True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont mean to be diss-ing Wayne, i'm a fan too. but for those who say no one can do Wayne like Wayne, remember, Wayne was doing Yakima Canutt. he copied the walk, talk, mannerisms, everything from him.

and i haven't seen the movie yet.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont mean to be diss-ing Wayne, i'm a fan too. but for those who say no one can do Wayne like Wayne, remember, Wayne was doing Yakima Canutt. he copied the walk, talk, mannerisms, everything from him.

Look, John Wayne was a great STAR but a horrible ACTOR.

That means that any movie he's in, he's basically just John Wayne. People payed to see John Wayne, not Rooster Cogburn.

I personally don't care to see Jeff Bridges be himself in a movie, but he's really good at portraying Rooster Cogburn.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wish this had happened:

“The Chinaman is running them cheap shells on me again.”

"Rooster, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please."

E: Because I'm bored

ai.imgur.com_K1HOX.jpg

That's the one.

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good and bad of the movie, from my humble opinion:

To write the script using verbatum text was a miss. Books written in that time period did not reflect the actual spoken language. At the turn of the century (that last one for you young whipper-snappers), it was poor form to use contractions in written text (e.g., shouldn't, couldn't, don't...). But nobody in this part of the country actually talked in the formal, proper English.

Matt Damon was a miss. He was too soft to play the role of weathered Texas Ranger.

The rest of the film, casting was excellent. Worth seeing.

JMO

Anaconda40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest beef is that Hollywood writers can't come up with some original scripts. Omega Man (Charlton Heston) remade into I Am Legend. Remake/redo (whatever) True Grit. Now I'm seeing advertisements for a mulligan on The Mechanic (originally starring Charles Bronson).

How many times have you watched a movie and 15 minutes into it, you knew what was going to happen?

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good and bad of the movie, from my humble opinion:

To write the script using verbatum text was a miss. Books written in that time period did not reflect the actual spoken language. At the turn of the century (that last one for you young whipper-snappers), it was poor form to use contractions in written text (e.g., shouldn't, couldn't, don't...). But nobody in this part of the country actually talked in the formal, proper English.

Matt Damon was a miss. He was too soft to play the role of weathered Texas Ranger.
The rest of the film, casting was excellent. Worth seeing.

JMO

I am starting to believe that is just an unplayable part...like no matter who does it, the are just gonna come across as a d-bag.

And from the beginning I was thinking to myself that nobody talked like that in the 1890s, especially in rural Arkansas and Oklahoma(Indian Territory).

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest beef is that Hollywood writers can't come up with some original scripts. Omega Man (Charlton Heston) remade into I Am Legend. Remake/redo (whatever) True Grit. Now I'm seeing advertisements for a mulligan on The Mechanic (originally starring Charles Bronson).

How many times have you watched a movie and 15 minutes into it, you knew what was going to happen?

I have no problem with remakes. Its an attempt, in my view, to see if Hollywood will actually do something that reflects the book. Most movies I see are book adaptations and suck compared to the book. I say bring on more remakes.

What I can stand are the same stories, just packaged up differently. THATS WORSE THAN A REMAKE. But I guess you do what you gotta do. There's only so many archtypes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom