Vehicle Holster legality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not following this reasoning. How is this illegal for a person who is an SDA licensee? We can carry concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded. I don't see any restrictions on vehicle carry for SDA licensees.

Seems to be covered here:
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

As I read this, a licensee carrying a handgun in the glove compartment, center console, lying on the seat (never do this with a loaded gun), or under the steering column as shown would be legal. Where is the requirement that it be concealed for a licensee?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not following this reasoning. How is this illegal for a person who is an SDA licensee? We can carry concealed or unconcealed, loaded or unloaded. I don't see any restrictions on vehicle carry for SDA licensees.

Seems to be covered here:

As I read this, a licensee carrying a handgun in the glove compartment, center console, lying on the seat (never do this with a loaded gun), or under the steering column as shown would be legal. Where is the requirement that it be concealed for a licensee?

I don't think anyone is saying it has to be concealed

In the glove compartment - concealed
In a center console - concealed
lying on the seat (unloaded) - no license required
under the steering column - not concealed, but doesn't meat the legal definition of unconcealed. I understand the part about being in the vehicle, but the mode of carry does not fall under one of the allowed definitions.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read:

Per SDA, the definition of unconcealed handgun is "carried upon the person".

and:

"Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle --- wherein another person who is licensed --- pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle."

pertaining to anyone who may be in the vehicle where a weapon and licensee are present.

As well as the distinction made here:

"TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act".

Right or wrong, that's kind of where I see it at the moment.

Feel free to appropriately define otherwise.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer something accessible, yet out of sight. I don't like tinted windows and I don't want someone peeking through the window, seeing it and busting my window out to get to it.

I haven't come up with a good solution yet. My truck has no center console and I'm left handed. Right now I have a lock box bolted to the floor. It blends in really well with the black rubber mat. The trouble with this is no easy fast access. Great for storing if I have to go inside a "posted" business for some reason.

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=2817&p=SA+22672&ct=e

Decent option for lefties and pretty well concealed. Only problem I see is it isn't concealed when you open the door so you have to remember to reholster your weapon (assuming you are using your carry weapon) before you open the door.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is very likely that any court in this state would consider a gun transported in this manner to be on or about your person, as long as you are sitting in the driver's seat, as it is hanging right between your knees. The sticky part would be when you are in other parts of your vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom