What do you think constitutes "disability"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, but if you can't get that from elected politicians who're supposed to work directly for The People, how do you expect to get it from appointed czars with layers of insulation between them and The People?

Recent investigations indicate it's not "appointed czars" that are the problem...

[In Monday's 160 page report Sen. Coburn details how a group of doctors, a lawyer and a judge in Kentucky conspired to defraud the federal government out of millions of dollars. They had an elaborate system of getting people benefits even if they didn't deserve them...

ALJ's, or administrative law judges, hear social security disability benefit cases. But Oklahoma's ALJ's are not perfect. In a 2012 report Sen. Coburn called out Judge Howard O'Bryan Jr's record. He approved 90%-100% of his cases. Sen. Coburn said if it continued Judge O'Bryan may face disciplinary action, and it worked. According to the Oklahoma Office of Disability Adjudication and Review, Judge O'Bryan's approval rate for this year is now 26%...]

http://www.okcfox.com/story/2363204...ns-report-on-social-security-disability-fraud

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recent investigations indicate it's not "appointed czars" that are the problem...

[In Monday's 160 page report Sen. Coburn details how a group of doctors, a lawyer and a judge in Kentucky conspired to defraud the federal government out of millions of dollars. They had an elaborate system of getting people benefits even if they didn't deserve them...

ALJ's, or administrative law judges, hear social security disability benefit cases. But Oklahoma's ALJ's are not perfect. In a 2012 report Sen. Coburn called out Judge Howard O'Bryan Jr's record. He approved 90%-100% of his cases. Sen. Coburn said if it continued Judge O'Bryan may face disciplinary action, and it worked. According to the Oklahoma Office of Disability Adjudication and Review, Judge O'Bryan's approval rate for this year is now 26%...]

http://www.okcfox.com/story/2363204...ns-report-on-social-security-disability-fraud

Just one question. Was O'Bryan elected, or appointed? :)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man ... I'm sorry to hear that you are having those kinds of issues. Hurting all the time sucks ... Big time! :(

It has been this way for a couple of years and slowly getting worse. I am one of those weird people that meds do not always work the way they are supposed to but it did scare the crap out of me when my blood sugar doubled after one night of work. It should have dropped. The pain I can deal with even if it is annoying as hell.

Given what you've indicated above, you're a little touched in the head if you don't apply, that is unless you have a good source of income and really don't need the disability income. Cases like yours are the reason this law is in effect. Coburn, for one, would have no problem with your instance. I'm a little like you, but with regard to veteran's benefits. I qualify, but choose not to participate because I don't need them. If push ever comes to shove, I will. But, not until I have no other choice.

But, there are freeloaders by the millions out there and many of them are on this program all the while with medical problems that are no worse than a bee sting. These people, and those like them on welfare, are gutting this nation and pose a greater threat to our survival as the America we know than any Islamic terrorist group. There, I've said it.

I know many older people who collect social security while living in spacious, luxurious homes and driving high-dollar Cadillacs and Lexus'. I think that's almost as bad, although they certainly have the legal right to do what they're doing.

I do not have a good source of income at this time but I will keep looking for one since I can not bring myself to sponge off others. What I really wish I could find is like the old night watchman job that would let me do a lot of walking at my own pace but sit when I needed to.

I do agree about the freeloaders and some of the elderly. Social security was supposed to be a safety net not an add on retire plan. We need to go back to means testing for Social security.

rebel-son

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One thing I do know is that as people's unemployment benefits run out and they still can not find a job because of the crappy economy, many are applying for disability because of depression and getting it.

On the other hand I am a diabetic and my meds do not always work for me. I sometimes have trouble seeing well enough to read, my legs and feet sometimes have trouble to the point it hurts to walk or they cramp when I sit. When I finally did find a job I got to work for one night before my blood sugar spiked, I could barely walk, both big toes turned bright red and I still have blood under both of those toe nails. My wife and sisters say I should apply for disability but screw that. I still do what I can to make a living and I will keep looking for a job I can do.

I think that is fraud when people do that like you are saying. There are people who have serious issues from depression and anxiety to back injuries. I am sure about half the cases today approved should probably not be, but here is the thing. If someone is approved the government gives them no incentive to go back to work. it is almost like the government wants to turn people complacent.

They could transition people back to work. The problem with disability is if you go back to work
1, its hard to get back on
2, they figure your benefit based on what you were making while you were disabled if you have to go back on it.

Simple possible way to help the budget would be to let people on disability work or try to and take like $1 for every $3 they make. This gives incentive to get back in the work game.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont want s**t from the government.
You have my prayers on everything, but that SSI is your money, assuming you've been paying your FICA like a good little Bundist. My brother is on SSI, and it has reduced my dad's Social Security benefits, because it's coming out of his SSA "account." (He paid a metric boatload of FICA in the 40+ years he was in the workforce, so he doesn't feel a bit guilty about getting some of it back.)

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have my prayers on everything, but that SSI is your money, assuming you've been paying your FICA like a good little Bundist. My brother is on SSI, and it has reduced my dad's Social Security benefits, because it's coming out of his SSA "account." (He paid a metric boatload of FICA in the 40+ years he was in the workforce, so he doesn't feel a bit guilty about getting some of it back.)

This

And Opinions second only to 1 to the hip , are the biggest disabilitys

Latest posts

Top Bottom