What would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt it, but one of the main reasons I wanted to join the military was family tradition. The officer route just seemed the "smarter" route to go

It has its pros and cons, like any other job. Be sure to listen to the crusty old NCOs. You don't always have to agree with them, but you'd be a moron to not consider their input. More often than not, they're right.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you be ok with being on the road a lot? Just wondering. When it came time to make the decision to use my GI Bill benefits on aviation certs or law school, I chose law school. I'm getting too old (and I've spent too much time away from home already) to chase a job that keeps you on the road that much.

I didn't know that you could use G.I. Bill on aviation certification. I was told by recruiter you couldn't. I actually went to Oklahoma State to be a pilot and kind of got burned with student loans. Dropped out my second year to pay them all off. I now work in oil. Thinking about going back to school and finishing something. Oklahoma State said it would be so affordable and it wasn't. Also the government doesn't give out enough student loans to cover the cost. But I'm against loans now so that wouldn't be an option even if they did.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would want to own my own gun shop. Not really a career or a profession but that's what I would want. I would love to own a shop because I love firearms. Just being able to be around them all the time and make a living off of them would be great. The Money would be second for me though. I also like talking with different people. Would be nice to get to sale guns and make friendships at the same time.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know that you could use G.I. Bill on aviation certification. I was told by recruiter you couldn't. I actually went to Oklahoma State to be a pilot and kind of got burned with student loans. Dropped out my second year to pay them all off. I now work in oil. Thinking about going back to school and finishing something. Oklahoma State said it would be so affordable and it wasn't. Also the government doesn't give out enough student loans to cover the cost. But I'm against loans now so that wouldn't be an option even if they did.

I'm not entirely certain, but I really did think you could use post 9/11 benefits for professional certifications up to a certain dollar amount. Heck, that was years ago so I don't rightly remember.

EDIT: This sheds some light on it. http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've dreamed of having a hot-rod type shop in an old service station. Have always imagined how much engine building equipment I could jam in one. Mill, lathe, hone cabinet, boring bar, line hone. Would specifically cater to older performance engines. Brand new stuff is cool, but there are tons of shops out there that are cutting edge. It'd be silly to think you could compete with them without huge time and cost investment (aka Reher-Morrison, Steve Schmidt, Shafiroff, John Kaase, etc, etc).

Maybe some day...

Mechanical Engineer with a minor in electrical engineering.
I have a major in one of those. It's challenging work, but I miss working with my hands a lot.

Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already been doing 2 dream jobs my entire adult life. I didn't go to college. I went to art tech school instead then went to work in my own business after an apprenticeship and straight into running my own business and a side career as a touring musician.

However, I did do more than half of a tech course in mortuary science. And I went to a culinary school in Napa Valley finishing 3 of 8 sections of the course. I would love to finish one or the other when I'm done with music. I think running a restaurant or a funeral home would be great jobs for me in my 50s to 60s.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something outdoors with the least amount of responsibility possible. Ideal option would be a groundskeeper at a state park or the like in a cooler climate. Actually, ideal option would be just not working (for anyone else). Just wish my ideal jobs paid a *tad* more.

And here I am this year trying to advance my oil & gas career after I said I wouldn't...whatever. Hoping I can parlay a more solid resume into a cooler job. And maybe make decent money again for a few years, that would be cool.

My ideal job I don't have to answer emails or phone calls, ever, don't have to type another ******* report or send and invoice or pick up a pen. Show up, work, go home. Home is separate from work. That's my ideal job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom