worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking for opinions, so I have been trying to retire for a while and go live in Mexico on the cheap, last year I did just that then the entity I work for decided to flex on me and enforce a 1 year emergency clause in my contract ( covid blah,blah,blah) now that year is coming to an end and they just offered me $6700 a year raise to stay at least another year. what do you guys and gals think?

Lucky

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told by an older gentleman that I have a lot respect for you retire because you don’t have enough time to everything you want to do and work. I’m starting to wonder if that wasn’t some philosophical crap. Because I’m ready to go and my days are not filled to the point that I don’t have time to work.
Anyway what are going to do in Mexico

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you WANT to do?? Think about it this way ... We only have so many years on this earth. You and I, my friend, have more years behind us than we do in front of us now. Do what is gonna make you happy!! 😘 (And just for the record $6700/yr works out to $558.30/mo before taxes. Do you think they've made tying you down for another year worth it to you?)

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just gotta say thank you, saddlebum, for posting this thread. I love my job -- only job I've had in my whole life that I actually enjoyed getting up and going to. But ... Promises were made that are not being kept. Pay is good, but could be better. Management is a joke but leave me alone for the most part. BUT ... My back leaves me feeling beat up and I spend my days off chewing on pain pills and laying on the giant heating pad the hospital "gave" me. We don't need the money but once a single mom with no money and kids to feed always a single mom with no money to feed kids ... 🤷 Grumpy is right (sshhhhhhh do NOT tell him I said that). Life is short. It is shorter for us old people. Might as well stop doing what makes us miserable (even if there ARE some perks to it) and go be happy -- and as relatively painfree as we can manage. 😉

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been pointed out, $6,700 a year more is chicken scratch.

If you like your job and the people you work with and the work is, or even just feels, important to you; then keep working.

An additional $6,700 a year probably isn’t going to alter your life in any significant way. I’m not sure an additional $67,000 is really all that life altering, unless you’re living under a bridge.

If they “really” wanted/needed you to stay, they would pop for a 30-40% increase, and some additional time off, like a 4 day work week or something along those lines.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like THAT Gurl, I have physical issues that make work a real challenge. I also recognize my time going forward is much shorter than it once was. I retired two years ago. Not because I could really afford it, but because I could make it work...barely. I live on less money now than I did in the mid-80s as an E5 in the Air Force...and I think I'm the happiest I've been. As I've gotten older money doesn't make me happy. Happy makes me happy. I've shed my life of things that don't make me happy and refocused on acquiring those things that do...whether tangible or intangible.

I don't have everything I want but I have everything (and then some) I need. I enjoy life now.

I'd say, if you can make it work and it's what you want, do it.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has a couple of sisters living in MX ex-pat communities which we have considered. The other option is instead of RV'ng around the country is sailing around the Caribbean. Both options call for going gun less, which I don't like that idea. Not just for protection, but just as an enjoyable Hobbie. I think that either way I will keep my house here in OK as a US base camp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom