worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've got to do whatever makes you happy. There is a lot to think about. Will any laws, taxes, or regs related to your retirement money change before you finish up another year? Nobody knows. One thing I wouldn't do is go to Mexico to live. If you work the extra year, most of Mexico will be here.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking for opinions, so I have been trying to retire for a while and go live in Mexico on the cheap, last year I did just that then the entity I work for decided to flex on me and enforce a 1 year emergency clause in my contract ( covid blah,blah,blah) now that year is coming to an end and they just offered me $6700 a year raise to stay at least another year. what do you guys and gals think?
I'd stay. Then again, I don't care for Mexico so it would be "get more money in my pocket, or go someplace that's hot, miserable, and full of stupid people (statistically speaking), and generally a third world country". There really is no choice.
Our goal is to do the same thing that another guy mentioned - buy an RV and visit kids and big landmarks for a while, then come back home and enjoy the dogs and woods.

Last edited:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looking for opinions, so I have been trying to retire for a while and go live in Mexico on the cheap, last year I did just that then the entity I work for decided to flex on me and enforce a 1 year emergency clause in my contract ( covid blah,blah,blah) now that year is coming to an end and they just offered me $6700 a year raise to stay at least another year. what do you guys and gals think?
You have 1 life to live, live as YOU see fit.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If $6,700 is enough to sway your decision, you're not ready to retire. I mean, it's not nothing, but if you're financially ready to pull the rip cord, it shouldn't be enough to move the needle--if it is, you probably need to take it and keep saving.

The other option, if you want (or need) to keep working, is to negotiate with them. If their opening offer is $6,700, how high are they willing to go? Is there someone else who will offer more? It sounds like your skills are in demand, so maybe you can get an offer that does move the needle...

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been pointed out, $6,700 a year more is chicken scratch.

If you like your job and the people you work with and the work is, or even just feels, important to you; then keep working.

An additional $6,700 a year probably isn’t going to alter your life in any significant way. I’m not sure an additional $67,000 is really all that life altering, unless you’re living under a bridge.

If they “really” wanted/needed you to stay, they would pop for a 30-40% increase, and some additional time off, like a 4 day work week or something along those lines.
it's already a 4 day work week. I feel old and tired, but also concerned if I quit working I will lay around and die. the environment and the people I deal with can be very tiring , but when you make a difference for one of them it is very rewarding. unfortunately those are few and far between

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd stay. Then again, I don't care for Mexico so it would be "get more money or go someplace that's hot, miserable, and full of stupid people". There really is no choice.
Our goal is to do the same thing that another guy mentioned - buy an RV and visit kids and big landmarks for a while, then come back home and enjoy the dogs and woods.
not hot or miserable and I love the people in the town where my place is

Latest posts

Top Bottom