worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be 60 but I like what I do teaching air defense to young soldiers. I get to play with multi-million-dollar weapon systems and .50 cals that shoot 1025 rpm! The money isn't bad, and the cost of living here in OK is really cheap. One of the other things holding us back is that we both have a house in the Pacific Northwest OR/WA that we would need to sell first. Once they are sold I can pretty much live on my retirement/VA/SSN money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a push on in mexico also. Abortion will be legal in all of mexico before you know it, not long ago it was just DF. Gay rights expandion. The wife says mexico is a reflection of the us in liberalism.

In most of mexico you need protection, like a gun. I had one, a colt .380, but you use it and you are screwed. The bodies get dumped or buried, self defense gets you screwed. A security guard off duty that had a permit shot (not killed) an intruder and eventually got off….after 4 years in jail.

Things are bad here, but in many ways worse there. It’s like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Learn to handle stuff on your own, no cops. Clean up the mess afterwards on your own. Cops do not come unless there is something in it for them. Otherwise they are just as likely to take the caller.

Things got worse after Peña nieto, more worse after amlo. Where we lived there are Women raped on city busses, businesses robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the day (legal gun owners only can have them at hole, not their place of businesses), lots of women raped and mugged (easiest targets), even small pueblos. Kids taken is big. Two sister in laws got blocked in by other cars and robbed, one niece kidnapped. I could go on. This was a place the size of okc and not the bad areas. Small pueblos people live behind high walls.

Narcos are everywhere. Just more obvious in some places. They take young girls and bring them back when pregnant.

Things ARE better in gringo areas like ajijic, but most are non spanish speaking and ignorant of what is really going on. They do have their 5.00 a day maids coming these areas though.

Mexico better? More free? Maybe for elitists. A study came out that showed well over 90% earned 400.00 a month or less. Most of the people I knew made minimum. 64 pesos a day, 10 hours a day and 6 days a week. Less than 100.00 a month.

Don’t know why I added that last part. I guess to just show how most mexicans that are cleaning, doing the laundry, gardening, working the stores, etc. live. Guess it just bothers me after living in the real mexico.
I think you posted a real life scenario of life in Mexico now that everyone needs to observe.
We have traveled Mexico extensively since the early 90’s.
Even the “safe resorts” in Cancun are experiencing cartel gunfights currently.
The days when we would rent a car, drive all over the region to eat in local restaurants are over.
Basically we will probably never go back as the violence is still increasing with the government losing the war with the drug cartels.

Reaction score
I think you posted a real life scenario of life in Mexico now that everyone needs to observe.
We have traveled Mexico extensively since the early 90’s.
Even the “safe resorts” in Cancun are experiencing cartel gunfights currently.
The days when we would rent a car, drive all over the region to eat in local restaurants are over.
Basically we will probably never go back as the violence is still increasing with the government losing the war with the drug cartels.
A brother in law was a bus driver, they trained in Acapulco ever so often. He quit because Acapulco was so bad and long taken over.

there are things to like there, my inlaws are one, but corruption and violence have long been out of control. They try to insulate places like ajijic, cancun, etc. but some still happens.
It’s corrupt here, but you can easily buy an election there. It’s legal to give a voter gifts and it’s legal for the voter to give a copy of their IFE so the other can vote for them. It’s not legal to give gifts for their votes (wink, wink).
At voting time the party with the money sets up tents everywhere and trades people stuff for copies of their EFI. Once they traded 500 peso cards that turned out to be 50 pesos when they went to use them.

We also drove all over mexico, many times from oklahoma down also. A lot of places We wouldn’t go now. Have an f150 platinum, wouldn’t consider it. Narcos like trucks.

I am still Inmigrado, have s permanent visa with no expiration.
I am still Inmigrado, have s permanent visa with no expiration.

That still means nothing to do with politics. No voting, no protests, no talking politics in public. It will get your visa revoked and you kicked out.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like I tell my soldiers. It doesn't matter where you are stationed/live, it's what you make of it. You can live in a multi-million-dollar mansion and be miserable. You can live in a 10X10 foot hut and be ecstatic, it's all about your mind frame.
True story, a house worth 500,000 or one worth $125,000 is simply a roof over your head-a shelter. And one has fewer problems with the lower cost home and maintenance is less.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the above comments about Mexico and our southern border is wide open to be just another part here sooner than we think. Well guess not, because it is already happening.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go.

You can always come back, your job will hire you back if they value you enough to offer the raise to stay. Who knows, they may realize you are worth more after a few months without your services.

Latest posts

Top Bottom