worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired 6 years ago and never looked back. Had numerous departments want me to go to work for them but I told them no thanks, retirement in my new occupation. If you don't need the money tell them to kick rocks, enjoy your retirement, you earned it.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you retire and keep working part time? IF they really need you (specialized skill) they could request an Equitable Adjustment to keep you in place. Are you key for the success or continuance of their gov contract? I have been told they had no more to give me, left, and then they found out it cost twice as much or more to lose me due to hiring multiple replacements. That was thirty years ago though, now it might take .75 of a trained monkey to do my job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's already a 4 day work week. I feel old and tired, but also concerned if I quit working I will lay around and die. the environment and the people I deal with can be very tiring , but when you make a difference for one of them it is very rewarding. unfortunately those are few and far between
Your concern is valid about laying around and dying. I read somewhere that retirees without hobbies last on average 5 years. My dad retired to the couch and cigarettes. Didn’t quite make that 5 years.
A retiree in general needs so many hobbies that you will wonder how you ever had time to go to a job.
Get off the couch and go to the range. Learn to reload, Fish, hunt, take photo’s Travel in an RV to fun and exciting destinations and so on. Take golf lessons, the list is endless.
Stay busy and retirement beats work any day of the week.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired from my "career" in May at 49yo (21 years with same Company). I would have stayed another year if they offered an increase in pay but it would have had to be a $50K bump for me to even consider.

If there is number that would make it worth it, ask for that - if they pay; do the year....if they don't; Adios!

Latest posts

Top Bottom