worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kind of know your work situation from what you described in another thread, so I'm fully aware that they wouldn't likely be able to offer you more. And, like some of the other posters here, I'm not keen on Mexico. Even the "good" places could be in amongst hellholes. Only you know that situation.

My wife and I retired in 2014, and because we had moved into an RV, we moved to Colorado for 20 months so the wife could be closer to her sisters. Then we moved to Oregon for 17 months and then to Utah for 9 months. In our situation with our RV and tow vehicle, RV'ing wouldn't be advisable for someone that didn't have a fair amount of retirement savings or income. In all that time, and even now, our primary income is Social Security and small pensions from work.

A member here on OSA contacted me via private message a couple of years ago and asked me if I would like to be a "professional driver" again. So, I am, and this job has paid off all or our credit card debt and left us with a pretty fair amount in savings. Throughout all of this since retirement, we've been to new places and I've taken lots of pictures.

All this is said to mention that in your circumstances, even if you were to retire and stay in Oklahoma, there might be other options for you for an income. Maybe something like working at a gun store or gun range? I never even dreamed our Summer job was something out there that was possible, and it might very well be that there is something out there that would be worth more than $6700 per year that you would enjoy more.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you really wanna go, to the point of just "Get me the heck out of here". You've already spent money to buy a place and get it stocked.

If that's the case, I say you don't belong at the job anymore. Just go. I only caution you on moving to a dump of a country with stars in your eyes. Mexico isn't America. Your rights aren't yours there, and you'll always be the outsider. The people have different ways of thinking and dealing with life than you do in America.

But if you're comfortable with all that and aren't jumping in with rose colored glasses, or someone's not blowing smoke up your butt about how many rainbows and unicorns live in your little town, then go. Tell Oklahoma to kiss your butt and get gone.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
not hot or miserable and I love the people in the town where my place is

Question answered! $6700 isn’t enough to change your living conditions in retirement other than delay it a year. $67000 could be worth it if it meant you could do or have something fun in retirement you couldn’t otherwise enjoy.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Already setup in Mexico. Just have to get back there

Already setup in Mexico. Just have to get back there
Hey SB send me a PM as to your location in MX if I don't do the sailing thing. I'm 60 and currently working for the Army at Fort Sill. I would like to retire, but I also enjoy working and teaching young soldiers. My sister in-laws are in the Bucerias Mexico area.

Reaction score
I was told by an older gentleman that I have a lot respect for you retire because you don’t have enough time to everything you want to do and work. I’m starting to wonder if that wasn’t some philosophical crap. Because I’m ready to go and my days are not filled to the point that I don’t have time to work.
Anyway what are going to do in Mexico
I lived in mexico for 10 years. Wife and kids born there. Any questions I will try to answer.
Do I recommend living there? No, be back 3.5 years and even worse now.

I will stay in OK.

Won’t try to convince anyone either way though.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's already a 4 day work week. I feel old and tired, but also concerned if I quit working I will lay around and die. the environment and the people I deal with can be very tiring , but when you make a difference for one of them it is very rewarding. unfortunately those are few and far between
There's a new invention out, it's called HOBBIES, ya gotta have a few if you're going to retire, no matter what they are if ya keep your mind and body active you'll go a lot longer than being glued to the "window of death" (TV)

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
looking for opinions, so I have been trying to retire for a while and go live in Mexico on the cheap, last year I did just that then the entity I work for decided to flex on me and enforce a 1 year emergency clause in my contract ( covid blah,blah,blah) now that year is coming to an end and they just offered me $6700 a year raise to stay at least another year. what do you guys and gals think?
I might consider going. This Republic is lost. Hate to be negative but it is the natural progression of removing the God who made us from every aspect of society. Don’t know if it will be much better there. But sounds like you can live out your days in comfort. The alternative will be to stay and fight!

Reaction score
I might consider going. This Republic is lost. Hate to be negative but it is the natural progression of removing the God who made us from every aspect of society. Don’t know if it will be much better there. But sounds like you can live out your days in comfort. The alternative will be to stay and fight!
There is a push on in mexico also. Abortion will be legal in all of mexico before you know it, not long ago it was just DF. Gay rights expandion. The wife says mexico is a reflection of the us in liberalism.

In most of mexico you need protection, like a gun. I had one, a colt .380, but you use it and you are screwed. The bodies get dumped or buried, self defense gets you screwed. A security guard off duty that had a permit shot (not killed) an intruder and eventually got off….after 4 years in jail.

Things are bad here, but in many ways worse there. It’s like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Learn to handle stuff on your own, no cops. Clean up the mess afterwards on your own. Cops do not come unless there is something in it for them. Otherwise they are just as likely to take the caller.

Things got worse after Peña nieto, more worse after amlo. Where we lived there are Women raped on city busses, businesses robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the day (legal gun owners only can have them at hole, not their place of businesses), lots of women raped and mugged (easiest targets), even small pueblos. Kids taken is big. Two sister in laws got blocked in by other cars and robbed, one niece kidnapped. I could go on. This was a place the size of okc and not the bad areas. Small pueblos people live behind high walls.

Narcos are everywhere. Just more obvious in some places. They take young girls and bring them back when pregnant.

Things ARE better in gringo areas like ajijic, but most are non spanish speaking and ignorant of what is really going on. They do have their 5.00 a day maids coming these areas though.

Mexico better? More free? Maybe for elitists. A study came out that showed well over 90% earned 400.00 a month or less. Most of the people I knew made minimum. 64 pesos a day, 10 hours a day and 6 days a week. Less than 100.00 a month.

Don’t know why I added that last part. I guess to just show how most mexicans that are cleaning, doing the laundry, gardening, working the stores, etc. live. Guess it just bothers me after living in the real mexico.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's a new invention out, it's called HOBBIES, ya gotta have a few if you're going to retire, no matter what they are if ya keep your mind and body active you'll go a lot longer than being glued to the "window of death" (TV)
Yep. Retired 2000 (disability, usps and va 100%) and have not watched tv since long before that.

ok, I download a movie or a few gunsmoke episodes sometimes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom