You know what just yanks my chain!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, old pre-lock Smith and Wesson revolvers are extremely valuable now and true collector pieces as no one makes something comparable now.

I have my 50 year old Model 28 Highway Patrolman that my dad carried when he was on the force and passed to me. it has so much holster wear the finish is completely gone on the cylinder and its one of my favorite guns. Its irreplaceable to me because of the history, but I still shoot it all the time and won't re-bue it. That doesn't mean I also don't have revolvers that I keep in the safe and never pull out because they are my retirement account someday.
IMG_3906.JPG

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People who think a gun is a talisman instead of a tool. I am a member of a Smith and Wesson page on Facebook. These guys freak out if their pistols get the slightest little ding, or drag line!! Good grief!! My standard response is “Shoot it and enjoy it! Scuff marks add character!”. Am I the only one who feels this way? I’m not saying abuse your firearm and be okay with it…. I’m just saying when you use and enjoy the thing it’s going to show some wear.
LOL, wow that reminds me of a transaction I was once involved in. I was selling a brand new revolver that not only had I never fired, I never even removed it from the packaging. It came in a plastic bag, inside a box. After I bought it I was told a horror story by my machinist cousin, of buying the same revolver, from the same company. My cousin is a skilled machinist that often fabricates expensive, complex parts to save money. His dad (my uncle) was an expert tool and die maker who taught my cousin to be a highly skilled machinist. He bought the same revolver brand new and it malfunctioned right out of the box. He had to send it back at his expense not once but 3 TIMES! Each time he explained in detail the problem and what needed to be fixed specifically. Finally after the third time it came back not only unfixed but in WORSE condition than it was to begin with. The warranty was great on paper but in reality quite worthless. After the last failed effort he gave up and dismantled the revolver and repaired it himself. Unknowingly I had purchased the same model from the same company. Mine also was flawed right out of the box. I didn't even bother trying it out because by that time the company had publicly acknowledged the flaw. I put it up for sale immediately and explained the situation to everyone who showed an interest. I got an interested party as soon as I posted it. We met at a location handy for both of us. Like I said, it was brand new. Now here is where the fun began. He opened the box and then the bag, at which time he inspected the revolver for 30 MINUTES! I'm 64 yrs old and I've bought and sold COUNTLESS firearms over the years and MAYBE at some point I may have spent 5 or 10 minutes at the absolute MOST inspecting an intricate firearm and it's function in minute detail GEEZ LOUISE I honestly thought the guy was having a stroke. How long can a person focus on a hammer of a gun? FINALLY after a FULL 30 minutes of literally snail speed appraisal, he said..."Well I'm going buy it, even though it's OBVIOUSLY used." LOL, I almost drove off right then, but I really wanted to move the gun, so I collected the cash and prepared to leave, but I HAD TO know how he could tell the brand new revolver was OBVIOUSLY used. He said by observing the screws super closely he could tell they had been "turned" previously. It was all I could do not to laugh in his face. Apparently these armchair engineers think that complex machinery is assembled MAGICALLY by machinist fairies that either use the force of their will or perhaps anti-gravitational devices to complete their tasks!

GorillaG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A gun is a tool. I don't worry about setting it down on a table without a velvet cloth under it. However, I will definitely think twice about dropping mine if an officer demands it. I'll lay it down with two fingerrs but not drop it. After all, it is an XD and might discharge into a coffee table.

I also made the mistake of buying a new non scratched AR. I wanted a well broken in shooter but this was all that was available at the time.
I would trade straight across for just such a beast. Something I could throw in the truck and not have to wrap It in bubble wrap.
I read somewhere the other day, hell it may have been here, about a guy that hadn't cleaned his rifle in THREE THOUSAND ROUNDS! and wasn't gonna til it malfunctioned, so far,so good. Musta been an AK.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
People who think a gun is a talisman instead of a tool. I am a member of a Smith and Wesson page on Facebook. These guys freak out if their pistols get the slightest little ding, or drag line!! Good grief!! My standard response is “Shoot it and enjoy it! Scuff marks add character!”. Am I the only one who feels this way? I’m not saying abuse your firearm and be okay with it…. I’m just saying when you use and enjoy the thing it’s going to show some wear.
I feel the same way about vehicles... Call me utilitarian, call me a heretic, whatever floats your boat (or scratches your car). :o

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere the other day, hell it may have been here, about a guy that hadn't cleaned his rifle in THREE THOUSAND ROUNDS! and wasn't gonna til it malfunctioned, so far,so good. Musta been an AK.
Ha, that may have me! I was doing an experiment to see how long my beretta neos would go with out a ftf or fte. I found out how many rounds it took. Experiment over.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A older gun in perfect condition is just a waste. Poor thing! I am a shooter, not a collector. Not saying I haven't bought a few collector's pieces, over the years. My first 1903 Springfield turned out to be one of those. But it was one of the low-number rifles that could blow up because of faulty heat treating, not because I intended it to be looked at and not touched. in 1975, I gave it to my Dad, who used it as a decoration. Dad passed in 2014, and where it went from there, I couldn't tell you.

Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom