2017 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eating them now, as I type. Just dipped in some milk, then all purpose flour and fried in a little oil. A sprinkle of salt as they came out of the oil. Not bad... not otherworldly or anything, but a good shroom. They are pretty good, but I can't see what all the fuss is about. lol. I'd like a big plate of 'em, and I'd enjoy them. But they're not as crazy good as it seemed I should expect - but realistically, I didn't get all worked up about them.

But they're good, yeah. If I had a bushel full, I'd be happy, but otherwise, they're a neat novelty and I'm happy I've had some. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had gone out, walked miles fighting ticks, thorns, and poison ivy, they would taste like manna from heaven. Lol.
I like em, don't crave them so much, but they do make a nice alternative to button mushrooms when you sauté them in salted real butter, and pile on a nice ribeye.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I can imagine if I had wrestled the bull to the ground whose spoor spawned these things, they probably would be more valuable to me! lol

Nah, I enjoyed them, they were good. I am thankful to @garry for hooking me up, for sure. I'll still look for them each spring when I can.

Moonpie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I can imagine if I had wrestled the bull to the ground whose spoor spawned these things, they probably would be more valuable to me! lol

Nah, I enjoyed them, they were good. I am thankful to @garry for hooking me up, for sure. I'll still look for them each spring when I can.
If ever you get the chance again to have them, skip all the flour and oil. Wash them, cut in half and fry in real butter until crisp. Nothing like it. I think you would truly enjoy them a lot more. Just a thought.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too small print to read on the phone. Have to look on the laptop later, but if they have the method, I'd give it a try.
I don't imagine they'll let their secrets out. I tried for a while to grow them. It was super easy to get morel spores to germinate in petri dish agar and transferred into dirt/grain jars. I could get the mycelium to colonize the jars, but I never could get it to go to the next stage and form a schlerotia. I had a semi-controlled environment and could control the humidity and CO2 levels, but still couldn't make it work. Would love to know the secrets, myself..

Latest posts

Top Bottom